Chapter Four

Two weeks isn't a long time. It wasn't enough to study for that test I bombed in History. It wasn't enough to prepare myself for my mom's passing. It's definitely not enough to fall in love with someone. This is what I told myself as I watched Lannan laughing at something Nathan said. It's definitely not enough to fall in love with someone. It's definitely not enough to fall in love with-

     "So what did you say you do again, Sam?" Brodey says motioning with his hands.

     "Actually, I didn't." I giggled. "At the moment, I'm a proud sandwich maker at the famous Subway."

     "The place where the face of the food chain was arrested for-"

     "Yep! But we don't speak of that. I'm going to Wichita State in August to focus on my bowling career and pursue a career in pharmaceutics. Lately I've been considering the pass for neurology. I'm just not sure yet." I glanced at my watch and noticed it was 2:30. "We're suppose to meet our class back at the exit at 3. It was super neat meeting you all. I hope we can see each other again before I leave."

     "I don't think that will be an issue." Elliot said nudging Lannan's arm. He rolled his eyes and stood up.

     "I'll walk you ladies." Nikki was a few steps ahead of us the whole time. "What are your plans for this evening?"

     "Class dinner. Then after that I'm free for a day or so." He nods his head and silence consumes us.

     "Would you like to, maybe, go out on a date sometime?" When I looked over I could see the nerves written on his face. His hand was placed on the back of his neck furiously rubbing it.

     "I'd love to. What about tomorrow?" His eyes light up as he'd just found out he won the lottery. "Don't get too excited now, mister. I'm only here for two weeks. Twelve more days." He rolls his eyes playfully and nudges my elbow with his.

     "Like I said, two weeks is just enough time." It's not enough to fall in love with someone. The only thing that kept me sane throughout the rest of the night was knowing that this would hurt nothing like Jacob. Two weeks with an almost stranger is not enough to break a heart. It can't be. I'll have a good time, then I'll go home, and it'll be like it never happened. But I will always remember this summer. Those honey colored eyes that if the sun hit them just right, nothing else could compare. The tousled hair that always looked like he brushed a hand through it and decided to call it a day. The soul that Sydney had.

     The stories had always been right. Once you get a taste of Australia, you don't want to leave. You become homesick for a place that was never actually home. Knowing that leaving Australia would leave a certain sting any time I thought of it, I finally accepted that leaving Lannan would hurt just as much. Even thinking of it now, I could feel that familiar feeling creeping it's way into my chest. The feeling of being unable to breath and knowing that a piece of you was missing. Nikki would bring up the word soulmates any time I mentioned that I was worried about this date. "If you're soulmates, it won't matter, right? Near or far your paths will cross again."

     She insisted that I go on the date, regardless of the outcome. And to be fair, she was right. I knew if I didn't go, I would ultimately regret it later on. Lannan and I are friends. There is no way this can end badly unless I allow it to. The only way to completely do that, is to close off my heart to any connection it may feel. Anyways, it takes more than two week to fall for someone. It takes more than two weeks to admit you have feelings for them. But the familiar fluttery feeling in my stomach wouldn't let me forget how he made me feel. Being with him felt natural. There was no doubt that I enjoyed his company. In fact, compared to most people, I preferred it. It was nice being around someone who asked questions. Being around someone who wanted to learn you just as much as know you. For once, nothing felt forced, and that meant everything.

     "What do you plan on wearing on this date?" Going through my clothes I threw my hands over my head and turned around.

     "I have no clue. Everything is too, cliche. And I'm not entirely sure where we're going." She rolled her eyes and let out a sigh.

     "Don't be so dramatic. Okay? I can text Elliot and see-"

     "Text Elliot?" A smile crept onto her face and she nodded.

     "It's nothing. I promise." Dinner went by in a flash and everyone was back in their rooms by 9:30. Lannan's name flashed across my phone screen and I quickly answered.

     "Hey. What's up?"

     "Would you like to go to the beach or just have a mall date?" I look over to Nikki who is playing candy crush on her phone, paying no attention to me.

     "Surprise me." He laughs and we talk for a few more minutes before calling it a night. "Wanna go for a late night snack?" Nikki perks up and puts her phone in her pocket.

     "You had me at snack." The lobby was completely empty when we made it down the stairs. "So, are there any places open, or do we trust the vending machines?" deciding on staying in and getting a quick snack from a machine we ask the lady at the desk where to find them. The room is small and there is a tv hanging in the corner for the two people that would come in here and hang out.

     "In other gossip, we hear YouTuber Lazarbeam has been spotted out and about with a new love interest." The lady on the tv cuts to a picture of him and our little group from today at the zoo.

     "This isn't the first time they've been spotted together Tabby. Will we be hearing an announcement soon?" Nikki turns the tv off and looks over at me.

     "You're famous." We both laugh for a minute and head back to our room. "That doesn't bother you does it? I mean, now you're in the public eye."

     "I'm just a person. I just don't want people thinking I did this on purpose. Hell, two days ago I didn't even know who he was." She stuck her finger up at me.

     "No, no, no. You knew, you just didn't care." She then put on her best flirtatious face and grabbed my hand. "Then he hit you with that, mind if I get your number? And you were hooked." She was right in some sense. I didn't plan on meeting Lannan. I didn't even care to know who he was two days ago. Funny how life works out in the strangest of ways.

     "I just don't know what's gonna happen when we go home. I really enjoy being around him. It's impossible to be anything but happy. But two different times zones, two completely different sides of the world. At least we're friends." Nikki visibly bites her cheek and looks down at the ground.

     "What if you moved here? It's a great place. I'm sure they have some Ivy League universities. There are even pros that come from Australia. Belmonte for example. It's not a terrible idea. Dad could even come! We could all be roomies." The thought of it makes me smile.

     "Elsah is the only place I can feel close to my mom, Nikks. Sydney is amazing, but it's not home." We find our room and she collapses on her bed.

     "Sometimes home can go from being four walls to being a pair of brown eyes and a heartbeat, ya know?" Her words stuck with me the rest of the night. But I wasn't just ready to give up my home. Especially when those four walls were all I had left of my mom.