Chapter Ten

One month later

     "How are things with Lannan?" Nikki asked as she sat across from me. I shrugged.

     "Fantastic. We talk every day, call each other when we can, I don't know why I was so worried about being so far away from him." As if on cue, my phone began vibrating violently in my pocket. Nikki raised an eyebrow as I pulled it out of my pocket.  New from Lazarbeam: Praying for Rain. I clicked on the video and watched as my face appeared on the screen. Out of instinct my hand flew to cover my mouth. As the video progressed, I quickly realized it was the video we filmed before I left Australia.

     A love song played quietly in the background, but not enough to drown out our laughs. Lannan's smile was bigger than I had ever seen it as his arms wrapped around my waist. We were at the beach and the sun was close to setting. He pulled me close and pressed his lips gently against mine, and that is where the video cut to black. Lannan's face appeared on the screen and he was smiling ear to ear.

     "I know most of you aren't aware of how I've spent the last month, but I'm here to tell you. Well, also show you. Ah, fuck, I guess it doesn't matter." He paused, laughing to himself. "This is Sammie. And I'm sure this video is gonna come as a shock to her also." He looked down messing around with something just out of our sight. "Sammie, I wanted to leave a quick message for you also, as I leave for RX Australia in just a couple minutes. I miss you so much, and I hope America is treating you well. I hope to see you soon." Pausing, he sighed to himself. And with a nervous face a quick, "I love you" escaped his lips and the video ended. With wide eyes I looked up at Nikki.

     "Nikks, that was the first time he or I have said 'I love you'." But her gaze wasn't on me, it was locked on something behind me. "What?" With a shaky hand, she pointed behind me. I turned around and my eyes widened. He stood with his back towards me, and his hands in his pockets. He looked as if he was asking someone for directions and I watched as the hostess pointed directly at me. A smile etched onto his face once his eyes locked on mine. They were the same honey color they always were. Without thinking, or control for that matter, I jumped out of my chair, my legs carrying me towards him. He opened his arms to me, and without hesitation our bodies collided together, my arms snaking around his neck.

     "Lannan." He sighed into my hair and pulled me as close to him as he possibly could. "What are you doing here? I thought you had to RX Australia to attend." He smiled and pulled away, brushing a strand of my hair behind my ear.

     "That isn't for a couple more weeks." He tilted his head, admiring some part of my face. "I wanted to come see my favorite girl." I placed my hands on his jaw and pulled him towards me. The kiss was short, but it was just as effective. He followed me to my table and said a quick hello to Nikki. "How are you, Nikki?" She shrugged and continued to eat the rest of the food on the plate in front of her.

     "Not too bad. Finally found my Prince Charming, or so I hope." Lannan laughed and placed his arm on the back of my chair. "Plus, college starts in a week. I leave tomorrow. What about you, Sam?"

     "I leave in a couple days, to start moving anyway." Nikki eyeballed me and motioned her head towards Lannan as if to say 'TELL HIM'. "University of Sydney is quite a far journey." Lannan quickly looked over at me and his eyes widened.

     "Really?" I nodded and he pulled me into another hug. "What made you decide?" I leaned back in my chair and shrugged.

     "My mom will be with me wherever I go. And dad says he has always wanted to know what Sydney was like." I grabbed his hand, tracing the all familiar circles. "Plus, I think I left some of my heart in Sydney." Lannan smiled and kissed my cheek. "How do you feel about meeting my dad?"

     "That sounds like an awesome plan to me." Nikki, Lannan, and I parted ways. "I'm gonna be honest, driving in the States scares me." I giggled and linked arms with him.

     "Why? Because everything is basically the opposite?" He nodded but the drive to my house was fairly comfortable. I'm not gonna lie, my nerves were shot from the thought of Lannan meeting my dad. When Jacob broke my heart into pieces my dad was one of the only people there to pick them up with me. Long story short, he didn't take to people very easily.

     "What should I say first?" I shrugged, turning the radio down.

     "Just shake his hand and introduce yourself. He's gonna love you, I promise." The rest of the ride was quiet. Lannan tried his best to hide his nerves, but it was written all over his face. I honestly knew how it felt. I knew how it felt to love someone so much that when you met their family your biggest fear would be them not liking you.

     "Wait till you meet my parents." My eyes widen slightly at the thought. "They'll love you." But what if they didn't? "It's so refreshing to be here with you. I missed you so much." I smiled and grabbed his hand.

     "Ditto, baby."