Chapter Two

"Wow. It's astounding here." The sun was just beginning to set as people started to leave. I was packing up my beach towel and other belongings when someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around to see him.

"Looks like our paths crossed again."

     "So it would seem. Fortunately, I'm a woman of my word." He quickly duh into his pocket and grabbed his phone. I quickly typed in my number and saved it under Sammie ❤️.

     "I thought you said your name was Samantha, but Sam for short?" He gave a quick smirk after asking his question.

     "I did. But I've always wanted at least one person to call me Sammie. Do you have any nicknames yourself?" He shrugged his shoulders, putting his phone back in his pocket.

     "Not exactly. People call me a lot of things, but nothing has ever really stuck." He chuckled and motioned toward town. "Would you wanna grab some dinner? I mean, are you hungry?" I smiled.

    "I could eat." I paused for a second before looking around for Nikki. "But would it be fine if Nikki came along? We aren't really suppose to go anywhere alone." He raised his eyebrows at my statement. "I mean, without a classmate." The corners of his mouth turn upward and he closes his eyes for just a second longer than normal.

     "The more the merrier." As if on cue, Nikki runs up and gives him a quick wave. "I already asked Sammie, but would you two like to grab a bite to eat?" Nikki breaks out into a wide smile and looks over at me.

     "We would be delighted to! Any place in mind? And please, dear God, don't say McDonalds. I think I've eaten there more in the last two weeks than I have in the last two years." I roll my eyes and smile up at Lannan. Who is still looking down at me.

     "I know of the best pasta place if you two ladies are up for it. I'll even invite a friend of my own. I can drive if you don't mind." He quickly pulls out his phone and I watch as his fingers glide across the screen. "All right. He's gonna be there in about ten minutes. Ready?" With a quick nod, we find ourselves making our way towards his car.

     "What kind of car is this? We don't have these in America." His eyebrows raise at the question.

     "A Ute. Let me guess, you know a lot about cars?" I nod as Nikki climbs into the backseat.

     "I used to help my dad build and remodel cars. He taught me all I know. Every now again he gets someone who asks him to work on their car since he does it for cheap. What about you?" He chuckled.

     "Can't say I'm much of a car guy. But I can talk your ear off about construction." Nikki makes a noise from the backseat and I glance back at her.

     "I've seen almost every video you've posted that involves construction. Oh! Like the one where you nearly take off your leg with a fidget spinner!" He laughs and looks into the rear view mirror.

     "Since I know one of you watches my videos, do you watch them as well?" A hint of embarrassment flashes across my face as my cheeks turn a crimson color. "I'll take that as a no?"

     "It's not that I don't want to watch them. I just watch certain YouTubers and certain things. Don't take it to heart." He puts a hand up.

     "I'm not. It's totally okay. But you gotta promise to watch at least one tonight." Rolling my eyes playfully I agree. The rest of the car ride is quiet. Besides the small conversation between Nikki and Lannan about his videos.  The restaurant was a nice little outdoors place right off the beach. Most of the customers were in their swimsuits or just causal attire and for once I felt as if I wouldn't stand out.

     "I forgot a shirt. Do you think it will make a difference?" He quickly reaches into the backseat and hands me a navy blue hoodie. "Are you sure you don't need it? Or?"

     "Considering Nikki has her own, and you're the only one dressed in a swimsuit and shorts, I think you need it more." He chuckled. "Plus, it might be nice to see you wearing my clothes." A blush creeps onto my face and I try to hide it with my hands. "Partially kidding." He slowly gets out and opens Nikki's door for her before dashing over to my door and opening mine.

     "Thank you." The restaurant isn't nearly as crowded as it seemed to be from the car. Nikki and I follow Lannan till he stops in front of a four person table where another man is waiting.

     "Oh my God. It's Elliot. I'm not gonna freak out. I'm not gonna do it." Nikki continues to mumble to herself as Lannan introduces us to this Elliot.

     "This is Sammie and Nikki. They're here on a, actually I'm not quite sure. I don't think we've gotten that far yet." I giggle and shake Elliot's hand.

     "Class trip. We actually visited Cuba before our two weeks here. It's honestly been such an experience. I'll definitely never forget it." Dinner goes great. Elliot explains what him and Lannan do in a certain amount of detail that I finally understand. "So you both make videos for YouTube that fluctuates in content? That's so cool! I actually work at Subway. It's honestly not as interesting but I love my job!" Elliot chuckled and takes a sip of his beer.

     "What do you do there?" I shrug my shoulders and glance at Nikki who is full on staring at Elliot.

     "Well, just like what you would do at any fast food establishment. Stress, clean, serve the public, and deal with rude customers." I giggle and take a quick drink. "But I love my co-workers. They are what makes it worth it." Without even looking, I can feel Lannan's eye staring me down. As if he thought that I wasn't real. That if he blinked even once, I would vanish. "Not as cool as YouTube though. So how often do you two get noticed?"

     "Quite often actually. Mainly girls throwing themselves at us." Elliot laughs as Lannan checks the time on his phone. "You ladies ready to head back? It's nearly 10." My eyes widen and I check my watch. 9:34!

     "Thank you both for accompanying us to dinner. It was great meeting you, Elliot!" We day our goodbyes and Lannan drives us back to the hotel. Nikki gets out and starts to head towards the entrance, waiting at the doors for me. "Thank you again for the wonderful evening." He smiles and taps his fingers on the wheel.

     "It really was no problem. Being in the company of a pretty girl is always worth it." I look down and fiddle with my fingers. "I was wondering, Elliot and I are filming a video tomorrow at the Click house. It's nothing big, and you can definitely say no. But I was hoping you and Nikki would like to come." I feel myself break out in a smile.

     "I'd love to. But tomorrow we have a class trip to the zoo. Maybe you could come with? If you'd like. I mean, if you all would like to come. It's always nice to meet more friends." He nods his head and pulls out his phone.

     "I'll tell you what, I'll message them and see if we could make a video at the zoo, and I'll text you in a few. Sound good?" I quickly nod and glance back towards the doors to see Nikki pointing at her watch.

      "Thank you again for dinner. I'll be seeing you." I get out of his car and wave before running to catch up to Nikki. "Looks like we've been invited to meet the rest of Lannan's friends." Nikki wraps her arm around my shoulder and we head up to our room.

      "I might be the first to say this, but I think he has a thing for you."