34

Lannan was a true gentlemen. From the moment we left his house he refused to let me open any doors for myself and was always aware of how I was feeling. It was as if he could sense how nervous I truly was. Though he never mentioned it. What ever he was thinking he kept quietly tucked away.

      "There's a lovely restaurant I thought we could go to for dinner. I thought you might want to explore beforehand." I nodded. Which seemed to be all I was doing since I was graced with his presence. Truthfully, I didn't want to say the wrong thing. I had a tendency of doing that which is one reason my previous relationship ended on such terrible terms. "Is everything okay?" There it was. Sighing heavily, I turned ever so slightly towards him.

      "I'm terrified. More nervous than anything, but partially terrified." He gave a small smile and took my hand in his. "It's been so long since I've been on anything that would be considered a date and I don't want to scuff up any of my chances."

      "Why are you so nervous around me love?" I shrugged.

       "That's a complicated question." I paused, attempting to gather my thoughts. "I know it's a buzzkill to mention my ex, but before this goes any further I think it's necessary. He changed my outlook on love. Growing up I wasn't looked at as a girl someone wanted to date. I was looked at as someone who was a good friend. So I never really had a boyfriend till him. He cheated on me. Multiple times. Sometimes when he was all I had and all I needed. He was an awful man and I don't say that lightly. I don't like to judge someone's character, but he wasn't a good man. That just sticks with me any time I'm in a situation as this one." Lannan smiles and began rubbing the back of my hand with the pad of his thumb.

      "Thank you for telling me. It somewhat feels therapeutic. Now I know what to be careful of. I used to be in a relationship with someone who was once very close to me. I discovered how nice it was to learn a partner's triggers, fears, and what ever else I might need to know." As we stopped at a light he leaned over a pressed his lips quickly against mine. Lingering only for a second. "Never feel like you have to hide anything." It felt rejuvenating, feeling his lips against mine once again. There was a certain warmth he left in me when he was around. His touch was unmatched. It left me always wanting more. His hand just a bit higher on my thigh, a kiss that lasted a few more seconds, I couldn't help but think of all the possibilities we could be.

      Once the car was parked and we were ready to start our adventure, I took just a moment to lean across the middle seat and kiss him sweetly. His hand moved to the base of my jaw, his thumb gently pressed against my cheek. I attempted to pull away but he pulled me into him once more.

      "So lovely." He said once he pulled away. "Would you like to see my favorite spot?" I nodded, my smile unmasked now. We found a path, somewhat secluded in a wooded area.

      "Is this where you take me to murder me?" He laughed. A true laugh. A laugh that made my knees undeniably weak.

      "No. I might miss you just a tad bit much if that were the case." Finally after what seemed like miles of walking we broke through into a clearing. There were sunflowers at every turn. "I've only ever seen one thing that is lovelier than this."

      "Like what?" He smiled and grabbed my hand.

      "I'm looking at her." I turned my body completely towards his and wrapped my arms around his neck. "Would it be rude to kiss you?"

      "I think it would be rude if you didn't." And he did. It felt like it was right out of storybook. The princess and her prince. I knew in the end I would be crushed because no fairytale ever starts with the happily ever after. But I would take this, I would take the heartbreak that came with Lannan and run with it. This was all I wanted in this moment. Lannan in all that he was. I slowly pulled away.

      "Do we go back to being friends after this?" He shook his head.

      "Friends don't feel this way about each other." I knew we were moving fast. Too fast for my already intense feelings of being overwhelmed. It felt normal though. Like I had known Lannan my entire life and it had just been compacted into two days. I was intrigued by him. He wasn't afraid to show his cards, he was fearless when it came to love and vulnerability. I was not.

"Are you sure we aren't moving too fast? I'm only here for two weeks." He shrugged. His hands still placed delicately on my waist.

"Let's just take it one day at a time. When the time comes, we'll know what to do."

"I'm just thinking."

"Then don't. Don't overthink it." He paused moving his hands to my face. "I like you, Sam. That's enough for me. Now let's go get some food."

We arrived at a small Italian restaurant. Little Italy. We had a bit of small talk throughout dinner but for the most part it was pretty tame. Simplicity at its finest. When it was time to leave I could already feel my body trembling.

      "I'll see you tomorrow?" Lannan suggested as we parked in a secluded spot at the hotel. "I mean," he paused. "I would really like to see you tomorrow." A shy smile broke across my face. "Is that okay?"

      "Lannan, I would love to see you tomorrow. I just have some business with my class that I have to attend to first. Our teacher isn't asking much of us, but we have to participate in class activities." He thought for a moment.

      "I'll tell you what. I'll pick you up here at 5 and we can go see a movie, or go to the beach, hell I'd go to the library if it meant spending time with you." He started to move closer. His lips met mine and I could finally feel the sparks that everyone talks about. I got out of the car and turned towards him one last time.

      "I'll see you tomorrow." He gave me a warm smile and nodded.

      "I'll be seeing ya." And with that, he drove off into the night. He was perfect. Maybe a little too perfect.