Chapter Eighteen

My eyes fluttered open. The sun just barely peaking through my curtains as the birds outside chirped. Rolling over I halfway expected Lannan to be gone, but instead his face was pressed against the pillow and the comforter loosely hung off his hips. I took this moment to really look at him. The way his eyelashes rested against his cheeks. A light blush covered his cheeks as well. His hair was tousled as if he had ran his hands through it endlessly. His hand rested near his face, just a tad bit higher.

     In all honestly, I had never loved brown eyes. Blue had always been my favorite. But when I looked into Lannan's eyes, I saw colors I never knew existed. When the sun hit them in just the right spot they looked like pools of honey. I loved the way he looked when he would laugh unapologetically. Or how his smile took up half of his face when he really smiled. I truly had never seen anyone as beautiful as Lannan.

     I made sure to mentally take pictures. So I could forever remember this moment. It was no doubt that I feared one day Lan would decide he wanted something new. If this was a memory that would one day haunt me, I was willing to go through that pain. I leaned down towards him and pressed my lips to his ear. I began to slowly trail my lips down his jawline, to his cheek, to his forehead, finally to his lips. He began to stir in his sleep but I hadn't bothered him enough for him to fully wake up. 

     "I know you can't hear me, there's no way I would have the courage to say this while you were awake. I'm so grateful for your kindness towards me. How you constantly reassure me of how much you love me, without ever being mad about it." I paused pressing my hand lightly against his cheek and caressing it with my thumb. "My heart aches at the thought of losing you, but I promise to do whatever it takes to keep you happy." Before standing up, I press a gentle kiss to his forehead. I quickly throw on a comfy outfit and head downstairs. Plummeting down the steps I expected to see my dad sitting at the dining room table reading his morning paper. To my surprise, he was nowhere to be found.

     I was almost done making breakfast when I felt arms around my waist. Lannan nuzzled his face into my neck, placing soft kisses there every so often.

     "Smells amazing." I gave him a small smile before removing the French toast from the skillet. "Trying to fatten me up, I see." Giggling, I rolled my eyes.

     "Definitely." Upon inspection, and the hope that I was done with my previous task, he spun me around. His hands never leaving my waist. "I love you, Lannan." He moved one hand to the side of my face before kissing me.

      "And I love you, Sammie." I handed him a plate and he took a seat at the table. "Can I tell you something?" I nodded as I sat across from him. "Forever is a long time, but I wouldn't mind waking up to your smile every day." I could feel the blush blazing on my cheeks. "Or that cute blush you get any time I say something nice to you."

      "You're the first person who has ever been kind to me without expecting anything in return." He reached his hand across the table, laying it flat against it. I gently placed my hand in his and he gave it a light squeeze.

      "I don't know what he did to you, but you deserve more than the minimum. You deserve someone who would walk through fire and never blame you for having to do so." I nodded. "I'm serious, Sammie."

     "Thank you, Lan." We finished breakfast and I decided it was time for a shower. I turn on my speaker and shuffle through my music. Soft music begins to fill the bathroom as I step into the shower. The hot water felt like heaven against my skin. I was completely lost in the moment when I felt hands begin to massage my back. Startled I turn around to see those familiar brown eyes.

      "Thought you might want a hand." I watched as the water trickled down his face. He slowly turned me back around and began to wash my shoulders, placing a single kiss in each spot he cleaned. Once he was done with my back he moved his hands into my hair. This was a kind of love I had never felt before. Lannan's intentions were clear, he simply just wanted to be near me. It was purely love, nothing sexual. Turning around I wrap my arms around his neck. His lips met mine and in that moment all my worries were washed away.

     After our shower we decided to relax and just watch some videos. Lannan was stumped on content so in order to get some inspiration, he wanted to watch some Fortnite videos on YouTube. That's when my phone rang. The caller I.D. read that it was my uncle Greg.

      "Hello." My heart began pounding in my chest. My family usually didn't call unless it was something dire. "Is everything okay?"

      "Sammie?" I hum in confirmation. "I hate to do this over the phone. But it seems Heaven decided to hand out a pair of angel wings. Grandma passed away this morning. It was expected, but no one was prepared." I slowly sit down on my bed trying to take in the information. "You there?"

      "Yeah, yeah, sorry. A lot of information to take in in thirty seconds. What are the arrangements?" I feel Lannan press a hand gently against my back, but I don't turn around. I know that the second I look at him, I'll crumble.

      "I can text them to you. Will you be able to make it? Being in Australia and everything." I nod as if he can see me. "Sam?"

      "Yes. Absolutely. I'll book my flight as soon as possible." Once I hang up the phone I feel Lannan pull my body backwards towards him.

      "What's wrong?" I shake my head, still trying to understand everything.

      "I have to go to America. My grandma passed." And without another word, Lannan held me for what seemed like hours.