Chapter Six

"How did it go?" I flung the hotel door closed and found Elliot and Nikki laying in her bed watching Netflix.

"Are those my chips?" Nikki glanced down at the bag between the two and mischievously smiled.

"Yes. Now spill the beans!" I told her and Elliot everything, down to the last detail. I even explained to them how I felt about trying to make a long distance fling work. In all honesty, I didn't even know if Lannan wanted a relationship. Yes, he enjoyed spending time with me, and he enjoyed kissing me without warning, but he never made it clear he wanted anything serious. "So, what do you want to do?"

"Well, it would be a stretch making long distance work. I mean, what are we? I'm not his girlfriend, and it's too soon to even consider a relationship. I mean, hell, we only just went on our first date." I sighed and placed my chin in my hand. "I guess if he's willing to try whatever this is when we go back to the states, I'm onboard too." Nikki squealed and hugged Elliot.

"Does this mean I might be an aunt soon?" My eyes widened and I chucked a pillow at her.

"No! And please don't ever say that again." The three of us spent the next couple hours watching YouTube videos and talking. Elliot showed me some of Click's content and I was completely impressed with how funny and humble they were. Then we watched some videos on each of their channels. Lannan's was the last. He clicked on one of his older videos where he was reacting to weird subreddits.

"He definitely has a camera personality." Elliot clicked on one more video, a recent video he had made playing fortnite. Only this time, it didn't seem as if his heart was really there. "Does he do this because he likes it, or because it will get-what's the word?"

"Views?" Elliot nodded. "Sometimes his camera presence just seems like it's lacking. He loves the job but lately, as you could tell, he doesn't seem as enthused. Lannan and I have been friends for quite some time, and it's like watching water be drained out of a tub." I sighed and looked down at my phone. No text. No call. Nothing. "I just hope meeting you brings that back."

"Woah, woah, woah. That's a lot of pressure to put on me." We laughed and continued through the many channels on YouTube. Finally Elliot decided it was time to go home and Nikki and I were left to ourselves. "I really like Lannan. I mean, I don't love him, but I definitely miss him when he isn't around."

"Then tell him that. I'm sure he feels the same way." I spent the rest of the night waiting for a text from Lannan that wouldn't come. I'd started to worry that maybe he had changed his mind, or found someone better.

     I woke and immediately checked my phone. I had a text from Elliot and a missed call from my dad, but nothing from Lannan. It was almost as if I could physically feel my heart sink in my chest. Nikki sat up and stretched. Once I finally looked over at her, I broke into a fit of laughs.

      "What? What is it?" I pointed towards her, but I couldn't get the words out. "Samantha. What is so funny?"

     "You look atrocious." She rolled her eyes and in a flash she was in the bathroom. I want to say I was able to get over the fact that Lannan hadn't texted me, but all I could do was sit and stare at my phone. Finally I decided to call him. It rang twice and went to his voicemail. "Hey, uh, I just wanted to see if you were busy. I'll talk to you later." I ended the call and collapsed into my bed. Maybe he's just really busy. But why would he end the call? Nikki stepped out of the bathroom drying her hair off with a towel. "Have you spoken to Lannan? Or even Elliot?" She made a confused face and shook her head.

     "Why would I speak to Lannan? El texted me about an hour ago asking if I wanted to come over while they filmed a video." Sighing I slumped back against my bed again. "Why, what's wrong?"

     "Lannan hasn't messaged me. I called and he declined it. I figured he might just be busy, but I'm not sure why he would decline my call." Nikki shrugged and began typing on her phone.

     "Well, you're coming with me to hangout with El. Kath and Brodey will be there also, so you won't be the third wheel." She said winking. My phone began to vibrate and Lannan's name popped up on the screen.

      "Hey." I could hear rustling on his end before he finally answered.

     "Hey. I was hoping you'd want to come hangout with me for awhile. Maybe just watch some Netflix or we can explore town." I glanced over at Nikki who raised an eyebrow at me.

     "Yeah, That should be fine." He said be would be by in about an hour and we both said our goodbyes.

      "I take it that was him?" I nodded. "It's okay if you wanna go hangout with him. We won't mind." Nikki and I spent the next hour getting ready. "Do you think anything will change when we go home?"

     "I hope not. I mean, he's the first person I have actually enjoyed being around since you-know-who. I just don't feel like this will be anything serious." She began putting on her lipstick. It was a dark red that I always wished I looked good in. I'd always wanted to be one of those girls that looked good in red lipstick and could break boy's hearts. But unfortunately for me, I didn't look good in red lipstick, and boys didn't pay me much attention. Nikki stretched it towards me.

     "Go on. Boys love a girl in red lipstick." But then again, maybe Lannan would be different.