Chapter Nine

We woke up at three so we would have plenty of time to get back to the class meeting spot. Which happened to be the lobby of the hotel.

     "I could play sad music as you walk off." Lannan said laughing. I rolled my eyes and a small smile cracked on my face. "All right, all right, too cliche." It was quite for a few minutes before he spoke again. "I could cry." A breathy laugh escaped my lips and I nudged him with my elbow.

     "Now you're just being ridiculous, Lan." He shrugged and took his left hand off the wheel to press it against my thigh. "I really am gonna miss you. But I'll call as often as I can! And I'll even save up money to come see you as soon as I can. Maybe next time I can bring my dad along to meet you." Lannan nodded and gave my thigh a gentle squeeze.

     "That'd be great, babe. Who knows, I might even have a trick or two up my sleeve." At his words one of my eyebrows raised as a reflex. Even in the darkness of the car, I could see the sly side glance he gave me but for once I decided to let it slide. "What have you decided on moving down here?" I shrugged.

     "I'm not sure. I was kind of getting used to being called "American Girl" though. If I were to decide to move, I'm not sure it would be soon. Not that I don't want to, but it seems like it's a bit rushed, you know?" The left corner of his mouth twitched upwards and he nodded.

     "I understand. That would be like me saying I've already packed to move to America. It would be asking a lot of you. Especially so soon." Once again, I began tracing circles on the back of his hand. "Woah." My eyebrows furrowed together at his sudden change of time.

     "What?" His eyes were slightly wider now.

     "I just realized how far away you'll be." I sighed and turned myself towards him to the best of my ability.

     "Whenever you wanna feel close to me, talk to God, and pray for rain. Look up at the stars, and pray for rain. It's what my mom always taught me. When you wanna feel close to someone, you talk to God and pray for rain." I paused and watched as he glanced over quickly before locking his eyes on the road. "Even if the rain doesn't come, for that moment, you can feel them. Regardless of your beliefs."

     "Pray for rain." I nodded and I could feel myself getting lost in the lines of his face. How the crinkles of his eyes molded perfectly into his cheeks. Never too little and never too much. The way his hair pressed against specific areas of his face. I traced my fingers up his arm, following the veins that were there. "What are you doing, babe?" I smiled.

     "Veins. They look like lightning bolts." He smiled and let his arm rest against the arm rest as I continued to trace his veins.

     "I'm so lucky to have met you." He pulled into the hotel parking lot and sighed as he parked. "So lucky."

     "I'm even luckier. You gave your attention to me when there were so many other options." He shook his head.

     "That's where you're wrong." I tilted my head and he laughed at the confusion clearly written on my face. "The second I saw you, nobody else mattered. All I wanted was to talk to this beautiful girl at the airport." He sighed happily again and rested his head against his seat. "It was no accident that I bumped into you. I knew the moment I saw you. I just want more moments like this with you."

"Lannan Eacott, I promise you, we will stand as tall and strong as an oak tree." He chuckled and pulled me closer to him. Through the darkness of the car, I could see how the street lights illuminated just enough to reflect in his brown eyes. Honey-like pools of brown that I knew I would never be able to forget. "I have to go." He nodded and stepped out of the car before rushing over to get my door before I could attempt to open it.

"Do you have everything?" I nodded, but I also knew one thing he didn't. I had left my favorite shirt folded neatly on his dresser for when he got home. He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and pulled me as close to him as he possibly could. The second I pulled away he was pressing his lips to mine. "Be careful, okay?" I nodded and he rested his hands on either side of my face. "I'll be seeing you."

"I'll be seeing ya." He kissed me one more time before watching me walk to the entrance. I waved as he began to drive off. "I'll be seeing ya." I watched his taillights fade in the darkness of the morning and tried to keep my composer. There was no reason to cry. He was mine as I was his. Oceans and miles away won't change that. All I could think of was those honey-like eyes staring back at me. I could feel my knees buckling but it didn't matter.

The trip to the airport was short and for once I knew my time in Australia was coming to an end. Nikki pleaded with me to know every detail and over-dramatized every reaction. I knew she was happy that I had found a new relationship. My phone vibrated in my pocket and I pulled it out to check it. Lannan.

     Hey, babe. It seems you may have left your favorite shirt at my place. I won't question it, but that just gives me an excuse to come see you as soon as I possibly can. P.s. I already prayed for rain :)

     Smiling ear to ear I sent back a short response and boarded our flight.