nineteen

"I don't like seeing her like this

"I don't like seeing her like this. The reaction that she had over that spilled cup of milk was scary. She is going to make herself sick and I don't know what to do to help her. What do I do dad?" I question my father over the phone. He's currently watching Maggie as I was required to go into work today.

She had a really rough day on Saturday, and Sunday was even worse. She was constantly looking over her shoulder and biting her nails. We spent the whole day just watching Marvel movies and eating food. Bucky is her favourite where I am more of a Tony Stark type of guy.

Now it's Monday and I kept Maggie home from school. When I went to wake her up this morning I saw that she was sleeping for the first time in days, she looked so peaceful. She had Elly the elephant, her stuffed animal I got her the day she was born, tightly wrapped around her arms. I don't think she knows that I was the one who gave it to her.

Now my father is on the phone talking to me about what I should do. It's almost twelve o'clock and she's still asleep.

"Does she know about your... occupation?" He asks over the phone. He's on speaker and all I can hear is him shuffling around my kitchen using my food to make my daughter a cake. Ever since his retirement he's taken up shit like baking and painting. A complete three-sixty from the man he was fifteen years ago.

"Yes surprisingly she was fine with it. Whatever is going on it must be in her head."

"You think maybe she has some PTSD?"

"She might, I will talk to her about getting a therapist. It's just I didn't know how scared she actually was until Saturday."

"She probably pushed it to the back of her head. You kno- hey Maggie! How was your sleep honey?" He interrupts himself when Maggie walks into the room. On the other end I hear her saying it was alright before a stool was pulled out.

"Dad put her on." I tell him just wanting to make sure my daughter is okay. There is shuffling and a few seconds later, five to be exact, Maggie's voice goes through the speaker.

"Hi Nardo." She groggily greats me.

"Hi Maggie, how're you feeling?"

"Better, I don't feel as on edge, also I want to ask you something?"

"What is it?" I spin around in my desk chair losing all my seriousness just talking to my baby.

"Logan sent me a text asking if I could go over to her house today? It's okay if you say no but I-"

"You can go." I cut her off. Why would she think I wouldn't let her go?

"Really?!" She beams over the phone. A smile lifts on my face knowing that she is happy right now.

"Really baby. Listen there is just a few things. I won't be home anytime soon so you'll have to get your grandfather to drive you, I don't care what time you leave just send me a message ten minutes before. Do not leave if it's not your grandfather, uncle, or myself picking you up. Capisce?"