thirty - eight

Five months later

Five months later

"You are unbelievable!" Dad semi shouts at me the second we get into the car. I don't know why he's acting so surprised. This happens all the time. "I just spent the last hour trying to convince your principal to let you stay at your school!"

"Did it work?"

"Yes."

"God dammit." I really would rather be anywhere else than that place. The school years almost over. We only have a month left before summer break and I am so looking forward to it.

I don't understand why he's even surprised I got suspended. It happened last month and it will most likely happen before summer break starts.

"How's your hand?" He quickly glances at me before returning his eyes to the road. He then makes a quick left into the Starbucks drive through. It's ten cars long.

"Oh, it hurts like a bitch. That teachers face was harder than expected." Yup that's right I punched a teacher. A teacher that was verbally harassing Logan. I, of course tired to resolve it with my words. But, when that asshole turned around and started saying homophobic shit to me that's when I clocked him in the face.

Well deserved in my opinion.

"I'll ask for a cup of ice once we get to the speaker." Giving him a nod I look out the window. I see someone at a table outside squinting their eyebrows at me so in return I stick my tongue out at him.

"You know you're the best dad ever right?" I turn around facing dad. He looks at me and ruffles my hair.

"Yup, say it again." Cocky motherfuc—

"Nope." I look away as he orders. "Thanks dad." I smile at him as he hands me my drink.

That's how it's been the past five months. I get in trouble at school, get sent home, and then we go for Starbucks. It honestly works out in my favour every time.

After that night it took a long time to get back to how it was. Anxiety wise I was a mess, for some reason I was worried he'd come back to haunt me. He hasn't but that was a major fear of mine. The grief of losing Ethan was too much to bear. I spent weeks in my bed crying.

He never got the life he deserved. He was too good. I never got to say a proper goodbye and we couldn't even give him or his mom a proper burial. Their bodies were burned along with the base.

I've decided to dedicate my life to him. He is the reason we are alive. He's the reason Roans dead. It cost him his life but he was a selfless guy. He knew what he was doing. He knew long before anything happens that he would lay his life down for us.