thirty - six

"That movie was so fucking dumb

"That movie was so fucking dumb." Marco shakes his head as he shoves popcorn down his throat.

"You're only saying it's stupid because it made you cry like a baby." I state while eyeing his cheeks that are stained with tears.

"I am an emotional person okay?!" He overreacts making me let out a giggle at his shenanigans.

We had just finished watching Five Feet Apart and he balled like a baby at the end. I tried to pay attention but I couldn't help but zone out for half of the movie. It's really hard to focus on a movie when your father is putting his life on the line trying to kill your abuser.

All the worst case scenarios I could think of comes to mind. It doesn't help that they should've been back by now.

"It's getting late Mags," he looks down at his watch but I look over at the wall clock. It reads 1:36 am. It's been hours. "Why don't we look at the stars?"

Following him wordlessly out of the weirdly familiar shack I look up at the star filled sky. Sitting next to Marco, I rest my head on his arm. "It's pretty."

"Yeah." He breathes out, he stares at the stars in awe like I do. "Can't see this in the city." Light pollution, I learned that in school. I don't respond as my eyes prick with more unwanted tears. Noticing this he pulls me closer and kisses the top of my head. "Your dad will be okay." One single nod is all I can produce.

Staying quiet for a while we watch the stars as the chilly October air surrounds us making me shiver. Noticing this Marco stands from his seated position making my head that was fully leaning against his arms jerk to the side. "Let's go kiddo, it's cold baby." He helps me up and as we go back inside the sound of cars driving on the gravel catches our attention.

Whipping around, a hopeful smile spreads across my face. My heart starts to beat faster in anticipation and excitement bubbles in my stomach as the two cars pull to a stop in the gravel driveway. Jonathan gets out of the car with his head down looking very exhausted and beat. Grandpa slams the door shut as he leaves the second car walking up to the porch.

No dad.

He would've ran out of the car to hug me. He wouldn't stay in the car. If he was here Grandpa wouldn't look so angry. If he was here everything would be over.

One look from grandpa and my heart drops to my stomach as my legs give out on the porch. Falling to the ground I let out a pathetic cry for my father. My hearts broken and it feels as though my whole worlds stopped. He's dead.

My dad is really dead.

He said he's be back.

He promised.

He's dea– "He's not dead." Grandpa says as he pulls me back up and into his chest. Trapping me in his embrace.

"If he's not dead where is he?"