epilogue

4 years later

4 years later

So much has led up to where I am now. I have grown, lived life, taught demons. But I wouldn't be where I am now without my father.

Where am I you may ask?

Currently I am on an undercover mission to gain information from a rival gang in Manhattan.

Sneaking across the roof, I do a couple spy moves such as a cartwheel here and there and add in a back handspring just for fun.

"Your target is down the stairs." Nardo's voice says over my earpiece.

"Got it boss." I smirk waiting for it.

"I am not the boss anymore." He sighs in annoyance, he knows what I am getting at.

"Oh really? Who is then?" I fake gasp.

A long moment of silence passes before my earpiece crackles and a sigh of sheer annoyance floods my ear.

"You."

I laugh. Yup, I am the boss now, official Donna of the Italian-American mafia. My grandpa passed the role down to my father when he was twenty, and now, just four months ago when my twentieth birthday came around, my father passed the role onto me.

"Dad, how does it feel?"

"Fucking sucks." He grumbles. I descend the spiral staircase of the beat down facility. It's quiet. Too quiet.

"Dad?" I whisper into the ear piece.

"Yes baby?" I roll my eyes. M'not a baby.

"Firstly, I am not a baby," I sigh, and he chuckles. "And secondly, send some back up. It's too quiet"

"Got it." He sounds serious now.

Creeping through the back hallways of the building, I don't miss the terrible smell of weed and booze. Bad memories surface from the scents. I remember the days I smoked. I am proud to say that I have not touched a joint since Dad helped me ween off of it. The booze is just memories of the cottage.

I have moved on. Nights are easier, and days are still peaceful. Except for today, of course, because god forbid I have a peaceful day when I don't need to deal with any enemies.

The hallway lights are off, that was the first sign that showed me I wasn't alone and that they know about my presence. The second sign is the quiet. Everything is shut. No air conditioning, no running water, no distant footsteps. Just the sound of my breathing that even I can barely hear.