15 ; seokchae

[ sotd: love in bloom by ily:1 ]

[ inspired by sqq fancomic downstairs ]

chae thought that at the ripe age of eighteen, class field trips to a local flower farm in the outskirts of the city wouldn't be fun anymore. she thought she would only be humouring her overexcited boyfriend and the rest of the class when she joined in.

it'll be boring as hell, she thought, i'll probably just sit on the edge of the farm and fall asleep and go home with a newfound pollen allergy.

.

despite all the doubt, chae felt the immense excitement reach its peak when seungkwan randomly burst into song on the bus. the entire class joined in after seokmin and soonyoung did, and with jisung filming them, it felt like a scene directly plucked out of a musical.

nevertheless, she still wasn't in the mood to celebrate with them.

the night before the field trip, chae couldn't sleep. she didn't know why— things like insomnia never happened to her before. ever. she often, if not always, slept like a log.

was she excited? if she was, she couldn't feel it.

was she anxious? if she was, she couldn't feel it.

either way, she decided not to think about it too much and to try to have fun with her friends.

.

they reached the flower farm after two rounds of seventeen and twice title tracks, complete with excessive dancing that shook the entire bus. the students slid off the bus and packed themselves on the very edge of the road, already marvelling the sea of multicoloured flowers spread out in front of them.

roses, daisies, sunflowers, lilies... any flower you could think of were present. they seemed to stretch on and on and on, forever into the horizon, melting into the bright sunlight, and, coincidentally, the rainbow sparkling after a small shower during the trip.

after getting permission from the owner, chae took a small picnic mat out of her basket and spread it out in a small patch of bare soil amidst the flowers. she watched as her classmates all flew into the flowers, excited to pick some and take pictures while she secretly thanked her mother for forcing her to bring the mat with her.

minutes later, as she brought out a container of mini cupcakes and decided to host a tiny picnic for herself, xiaoxiao came over. in her arms were flowers, three or five of each species, a few butterflies trailing behind her as she annoyedly shooed them away. petals peeked out from between her curled strands of hair.

"wow," chae blinked, surprised at how cute her normally intimidating best friend looked, "i can see why justin likes you now."

xiaoxiao scoffed. she gathered all the flowers in her arms into one big, messy bouquet, then stuffed them into chae's lap. she didn't forget to pull out a small clump of forget-me-nots and tuck it behind her ear, of course.

"w-wait!"

"what?!"

"i- wh- what is this?! why are you giving me flowers all of a sudden?!"