18 ; haeji

[ sotd : adrenaline , cravity ]

[ inspired by the only boy in
leia's class who coincidentally
also has only one braincell.
like come on brother you are
in med school please just
fucking make your move. she
likes you BACK PLEASE FOR
THE LOVE OF GOD FREE US ]

as a valid and professional pisces, the first time hyeji passes by and waves hi to donghyuck, ten senses a disturbance™️ in the force. he raises an eyebrow but says nothing, observing the others huddled around johnny's ipad.

jungwoo shudders a little bit, feeling his fellow pisces friend's intense stare. he looks up just in time to catch a glimpse of hyeji stepping into the lift, and his brain makes the connection when he sees donghyuck's half-raised hand. as expected of a mechanical engineering student.

kiki sees her boyfriend's confusion turn to understanding, and she knows. she takes a sip of her peach tea to hide her smile.

even sungchan, poor, dense virgo sungchan, finally understands after squinting at the elevator lobby for an awfully long time and realising his friends aren't giving each other wiggly eyes because of it. he does not give a fuck. his goal is math. math only. then bread.

donghyuck pretends not to notice his friends' sudden attitude change. he puts his hand down and tries to insert himself into the discussion going on at johnny's.

"well," jungwoo doesn't give him the chance to do so, "is this a code blue?"

"shut the fuck up, mechanical engineering!" ten frowns.

"yeah, man," kiki says, "stop pretending you're in med. go back to your thermodynamics or whatever crap you learn. our physics teacher said she was gonna quiz you in class later."

"let the man be, guys," ten says, "i wanna know too. hyuck?"

"me? what? i?"

"stop pretending," johnny says, locking his ipad, "we all saw that."

"um..."

he relents.

"yes, i like her."

"a lot?" sungchan asks, "enough to date her? you're not gonna dump her, right?"

donghyuck ignores him. (serves him right, anyway; didn't he dump his girlfriend and leave her crying on twitter? didn't he also come to school in sadboy clothes playing sadboy music after he found out she got a new boyfriend? jung sungchan literally does not get a word in anyone's love life. not ever.)

"she's a nice girl," donghyuck says, "but she's in engineering. i'm in med. it's—"

"—basically the opposite of me and jungwoo?" kiki interrupts, "a.k.a. perfection?"

"ten out of ten perfection," chittaphon says, "she probably likes you back, too. who wouldn't?"

"she wouldn't," he sighs in defeat, "i have literally never seen her make a move."

"but your definition of 'make a move' is for someone to straight up yell those words into your face while having an ambulance siren for emphasis?" johnny scoffs and puts his ipad away like he wasn't stressing over unfinished physics work ten minutes earlier, "i don't fucking trust you, lee haechan."

"she doesn't, okay?! she probably hates me! i text her every day, and she's probably annoyed, and she only waves at me when i wave at her, and..."

"y'all text every day?"

donghyuck takes his phone out and pulls up him and hyeji's instagram dms.

"that's long," jungwoo observes, "you text, like, 24/7. holy shit, my brother in christ, she' is down bad for you."

"nauer!" he whines, "her birthday is coming up soon, and i don't know what to get her!"

kiki sounds like his saviour when she volunteers to bring him (and the rest of the men) to the shopping mall on an adventure into the girls' section.

——————

when they finish their exam that night, the gang accompanies donghyuck until his parents come pick him up. he lost his driver's license a few weeks ago, and while waiting for it to be remade, they banned him from driving for fear of getting arrested.

his parents had gone out for a wedding that night, meaning they were horribly late. by the time one hour rolls by, kiki and jungwoo had already gone for supper, and johnny had to move his car for fear of getting a ticket. ten had to grab the last bus, too, leaving only sungchan behind.

the two of them talk more about the exam and how they're both going to get single digits (even though donghyuck is literally a straight A student). the students around them dissipate as most of them leave campus, the last batch being biomedical engineering students after a particularly long thermodynamics exam.

"hi!" a girl's voice pipes up from behind the two of them, and poor, dense sungchan feels an ominous wave of dread wash over him.

he turns around and sees an awfully cute girl dressed in a cream-coloured cardigan and off-white cargo pants. her shoulder-length hair is held back in a half-up ponytail by a metal claw clip, and there are traces of transparent lipgloss on her slightly chapped lips. the zipper on her bag is open and there are lopsided books hastily gathered up in her arms. her smile is accompanied by a light blush almost invisible under the faint streetlight and dark night.

she is kang hyeji, and she is cute as hell.

"h-hi, hyeji," donghyuck melts into a stuttering mess in front of his best friend, "i-i-i— you done? how was it?"

sungchan watches as they engage in conversation, excitement practically oozing out of the atmosphere. he sees something in hyeji's eyes that he recognises as the spark he used to see in yuanyuan's eyes whenever she hung out with him. he blinks once, twice.

he doesn't want to interrupt them. he wants to tap on donghyuck's shoulder and leave him a reminder that he is going home, but then hyeji eyes him. it isn't malicious or anything, just a curious look, as if she wants to get to know her crush's friends.

but something makes sungchan step back. and just like that, he decides to walk away without a word.

his best friend needs some crush time, after all.

(later, donghyuck has the audacity to complain to the others about how sungchan left him alone that night. hello, motherfucker? we all know you had a great fucking conversation and even brought her to family mart for ice cream after?)

[ sungchan is me, by the way. every single word in here is from personal experience
except the part where he dumps his gf bc
i have never had a girlfriend ever boohoo ]