Hope After All

Disclaimer: Basically all of this chapter is pretty much identical to Rey's POV in the novel but with Jayden integrated into it. I warned you, so it ain't my fault if you read all the way through and wonder why it's so similar. Also, I realized Ashbur was actually Ashber name, so I fixed it. Yay.

________________________________________________________________________________

Reynolds Leywin

I couldn't believe it.

My sons. My sons were gone.

"NOOOO!" "NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO."

Durden had to hold me back before I jumped off the cliff myself to save my sons.

I knew it was too late. I knew what could've happened had already happened but I couldn't just stand still, not doing anything.

"Let me go! My sons! They could still be alive. Let me save my sons! Please."

Durden wasn't budging and Adam came to help hold me back too.

"Please Rey. You have to hold it together. There's no easy way to tell you this but it wasn't possible for either of them to have survived that fall." The always playful and lax Adam had a solemn expression on his face and couldn't even meet my eyes.

"Adam is right. Pull yourself together. Your wife needs you, Rey," Durden also muttered.

They're right. They're absolutely right. Yet. Why is my body not listening to me? Why can't I go comfort my wife.

"AAAAHHHHHHH!!!" I broke down before everything went black.

Waking up, I noticed Helen holding a wet towel over my head.

"You're finally awake," She said, a sympathetic smile on her face that lacked confidence.

I ignored her and sat up, burying my face into my hands.

"This isn't a dream is it? Please tell me I'm going to wake up to see my boys playing with Jasmine and Adam."

"..."

"I'm sorry..." were the only words she managed to say before she started sniffling as well.

The flap of the tent opens as Durden made his way inside.

"Reynolds. I can't even begin to imagine just how much it must hurt for you, but right now, your wife needs you. She's blaming herself, Rey. She thinks you hate her for losing your children," he said, his red eyes evident that he was having a hard time as well.

"..." Unable to muster up any words in response, I turned away from Durden.

All of a sudden a felt a sharp jerk as I was pulled back. Just as my eyes caught a glimpse of Durden's large hand, my vision blurs and a stinging pain was throbbing on my cheek where he had smacked me.

"Reynolds! We had to stop Alice from killing herself! This isn't the time to be moping! Get the fuck up off your ass and take care of the one that's actually alive!" he growled.

This was the first time I had seen the usually composed Durden this infuriated.

I managed a stiff nod, my brain still throbbing from the hit, as I made my way to my wife's tent.

I spotted my wife curled up under a blanket with Angela by her side, patting her gently.

I gave a meaningful look to Angela. Understanding what I wanted, she simply nodded before excusing herself out of the tent.