Chapter 7: The Principal's Rule

After defeating the ghosts, Grim and Sereia are panting from exhaustion. Briar kneels down to them to make sure they're okay. They look to see that the potion has worn off and has returned from being a ghost to his original form.

Grim continues to pant and questions, "... Well?"

"Incredible... I've never seen anyone bend a monster to their will quite the way you have. And it's amazing that a doll has magical abilities." Crowley says.

He turns to Briar, "I must confess, my educator's intuition did sense something about you after that brouhahah at orientation, Briar."

"Like what?" Briar asks.

"I could tell you have a certain animal trainer-y, beast master-ish quality to you," Crowley says.

Then begins to think of an idea, "Oh, yes. That said I..." He then begins mumbling to himself.

Briar then asks, "Would it be possible for Grim to stay here, with me? He really wants to go to school here."

This catches Crowley off guard, "WHAT? A monster, stay HERE?"

"Whoa, did you just...?" Grim asks, surprised.

Briar begs him, "Please sir! I promise that Grim will behave."

"Hmmm..." Crowley says, giving thought.

Then says, "I suppose I cannot deny your plea. Very well."

This makes Grim very happy, "Myah?! Really?"

Just then, Sereia turns to Briar and asks, "UmBriar, is it alright if I can stay too?"

"I don't mind," Briar says.

Then turns to Crowley, "You don't mind if Sereia stays too."

"Well, I don't see why not. I have a feeling you'll be asking it soon enough," Crowley says.

Sereia shyly smiles and says, "Thank you, um... sir."

Then Crowley says, "Let me be clear. Under no circumstance would I admit anone to Night Raven College who has not been selected by the Dark Mirror - especially not a monster."

Then turns to Briar, "Nor do I intend to allow you, Briar, to freeload until you're to return home."

"Hrmph. Never shoulda get my hopes up..." Grim says, disappointed.

But Briar says, "I suppose you're right. I wouldn't be earning my keeps without doing something to earn it. Besides, I have a feeling I'll be here for a while.

"Now then, allow me to explain," Crowley says.

Briar nods her head in reply.

"It was the Dark Mirror that transported you here. Therefore this school does bear some responsibility for your well-being. So I will allow you to remain in this dorm, free of charge. However, you will need to pay for your own food, clothing, and incidentals," Crowley says.

"I suppose that makes sense. But how do I do that?" Briar questions.

"As for how you will do so, penniless as you are... Ah. Ah. Ah. Yes, a fine plan," Crowley says with a smile.

Briar is confused about what Crowley is saying. She doesn't know if she should be confused or insulted. Also, she wonders what Crowley has in mind for her.

Reluctantly, Briar asks, "So uh, what exactly are you planning to make me do?"

"What do you have in mind?" Sereia asks.

"You needn't seem so alarmed. I'm simply going to ask you to do a few odd jobs around campus. From what you've done, here, Briar, I can tell you're way around a broom. So what do you say to you three working together as a janitorial team?" Crowley says.