Chapter 18: The Endless Hunt

Meanwhile, Briar and her friends are able to run out of the mine and to the forest where the old cottage is. As they hurry down the mine, they turn their heads to see the giant monster chasing after them.

Ace panics, "Are you kiddin' me?! It's still coming! It pushed off all that weight!"

"It must want the magestones!" Briar says.

"And it's not very happy we took it," Sereia says, worried.

Just then, the monster angrily cries out, "Ooooooooooogh...! Giiive it baaaaaack...!"

The monster continues to chase after them, and it's closing in.

Deuce sees it, "It's too fast! It's about to catch us!"

"But we're able to weaken it! If we strike now, we'll be able to beat it," Briar says.

Ace groans in frustration, "Aw, fine! Let's just smash that thing." Then turns to Deuce, "Try not to wet yourself, Deucey!"

"Same goes for you, Ace!" Deuce says.

Then Grim says, "I'm gonna show ya why they call me Grim the Great!"

"I'll... I'll help too..." Sereia says.

Then the cat ear boy says, "I'll help too."

The boy with the pointed ears says, "I'll help too."

"You're hurt. I'll fight for us," The boy with the cat ears says.

"Are you sure?" Sereia asks.

"Yeah. Before I forget to mention. My name is Carnelian. And this is my fraternal twin brother, Tanzanite. I'll help fight the monster," The boy, Jasper says.

Decue turns to Briar, "Briar, you need to get yourself, Trinket, and Tanzanite to safety. Make sure to hang on to the stones."

"Right," Briar says.

Briar picks up the bag with the stones and holds Tanzanite in her arms. Sereia also places the stone she found in the bag. Then she hurries to get herself and her finds to safety.

Ace brings out his pen and uses his magic, "Take this!"

Ace uses his wind magic to attack.

"Take the power of my fire!" Grim shouts and blows fire at the creature.

Sereia calls out, "I... I think you should stay away and uh, get clean up from the ooze."

Then blasts her water magic at the creature.

"Try to have some stone thrown at you!" Jasper says.

With that, he is able to use magic to summon stones and rocks and throw them at the monster.

Deuce summons another cauldron and it smashes on the monster. The monster however lets out a roar and begins to attack as well. The monster then swings it's pickaxe toward them to strike an attack. Ace and Deuce quickly dodge the attack and quickly use their pens to attack. Grim and Sereia continue to use their magic to counter attack the giant oozing monster. Briar is forced to watch as the blot monster continues to attack her friends. Tanzanite and Trinket feel the same way, and the young boy still has a twisted ankle from an incident that has occurred in the cave.

Briar grits her teeth and says in thought, "I... I want to help... I want to help them, but what can I do... My friends are in danger..."

Briar clutches the stones in her hands and shows deep concern for her friends. Unknown to Briar, a dim glow appears on the palm of her hand.

Back at the battlefield, the monster continues to strike at the group with it's attack. The monster soon first able to swat Ace, Deuce, and Jasper and had them fall to the ground. Then breathes fire from the lantern at Grim and Serea. The two are able to dodge, but they both end up falling to the ground.