Chapter 9: Meeting a Freshman

After leaving the dorm, Briar, Sereia, and Grim walk down the school and soon come across an area of the school known as Main Street, there is a stone path with grass areas and large trees around the area. Between the stone tile path, there are seven statues. Each one has a pillar with a statue of someone, and all of them are different. On one base side of the statue towards the path, it has some writing on it.

Grim is amazed, "Wow, so this is Main Street, huh? This is incredible!"

"You're right. This place looks very beautiful," Sereia says.

"I know. It actually looks very nice in the day," Briar says.

"I have to agree. I didn't get to see much of it yesterday," Grim says.

The group continues to walk alone in the area and see the seven statues as they walk by.

Grim wonders, "What's the deal with these seven statues? All their faces look pretty scary."

"I have to agree, some of them look pretty serious, and at least two of them have resemblance to animals," Briar says.

Sereia notices one, "Look, this one looks like an octopus."

"You're right. And the one next to it looks like a lion," Briar adds.

Then Grim notices, "And look at this one. This lady looks like she's got awesome repeal anger management issues."

Suddenly, they hear a boy's voice, "You don't know the Queen of Hearts?"

The three turn their heads to notice a young boy walking towards them. The boy appears to be around Briar's age.

He has messy, dark orange hair and red eyes. Over his left eye, he has a red patch shaped like a heart. Judging by the uniform he's wearing, this boy is a student. He is wearing a white button up shirt, a black and white striped tie, a red vest with yellow buttons, He is wearing a black blazer with black dress pants with a black belt with yellow buckle, and red shoes. He is also wearing what looks like a black and red color ribbon around his left arm, and has some kind of pin attached to it.

"Queen of Hearts?" Sereia says, confused.

Then Grim asks, "Is she some kind of big deal?"

"Well, she is a queen, so I have to guess she is a big deal," Briar says.

Then the student says, "She was a queen who lived in a maze-like garden of roses long, long ago."

"Really now?" Briar replies.

The four turn to the statue to see the Queen of Hearts statue. She is wearing an elegant dress with a crown on her head, and her hair is in a bun. She is also holding a heart shaped fan, and on the base has roses on it.

"She was a strict woman who prized order above all. She wouldn't tolerate a rose being off-color, or her playing-cards soldiers being out of step. She basically ruled over a kingdom of madness, but not one of her subjects dared to defy her. You wanna know why? Because the punishment for breaking a law was immediate decapitation!" The boy explains.

Briar places her hand close to her neck, "Goodness."

Sereia hugs Briar's legs, "It's scary!"

Grim is in terror, "Wah! That is seriously messed up!"

"Pretty cool, right? I'm a big fan. I mean, who would bother to obey a queen that was kind all the time?" Ace says.

"Yeah, true. A leader needs to be strong," Grim says.

"I guess so, but decapitation might be a bit over during it," Briar replies.

Then asks, "And who are you?"