Chapter 4

Laura's POV

The bell sounded for the end of school and I quickly grabbed my bag and headed straight out. I didn't need to go to my locker as I had everything I needed with me.
"See ya Raini!" I called back to my best friend as I raced past her in the halls.
"Bye Laur!" I hear her reply just as I make it out the doors. I don't stop there, I keep running the route that I have memorised ever since dad died. I finally came to a halt as I reached the memorial. I come here every afternoon on this day, I try hard not to come any other time because it's too hard... it's getting easier but it always feels like yesterday that there were two tall buildings burning and falling down where I am standing now. I walk around the memorial until I saw the name I came here for. Damiano Marano. I couldn't help it. As soon as I saw it the tears I had held in for a whole year came streaming out. I just couldn't stop. "Daddy. Why did you have to go? Why? I didn't even get to say goodbye.." I trailed off into sobs, "here I bought this for you. It's your favourite, a red poppy. I miss you every day. You are my hero and you always will be. I really hope that you know that. I love you now, forever and always daddy," I kiss the poppy and place it on his name. I just sit there sobbing. I try to stop I know he never liked it when I was sad but whenever I try to stop they just keep coming. Suddenly I feel a hand on my back. I quickly spin around but I can't see much because of the water in my eyes. "Um... Hi.. Do I know you?" I say trying to clear my eyes.
"Hey. Nah you just looked sad so I thought why not try to cheer you up. You seem like you've had a tough day. Don't worry I have too..." The stranger faded into silence. I've been able to work out that it's a guy and he's blond. Sort of like a surfer dude... My eyes are starting to clear up I can tell that he is probably about my age but he's really tall. Oh and he has the brownest eyes I have ever seen, they look like chocolate. Oh those eyes...
"Umm well my name is Ross. Ross Lynch. Who are you here to see?" He slowly said bringing me back to reality.
"Oh.. Um... I'm Laura. Umm... I'm here to see him." I say pointing to my father's name, "he was my father"
"Is," Ross replies.
"Huh?"
"You said he was your father but your wrong, he is your father,"
"But he's d..d.. gone" I give up
"No. He is always with you. Here" he says putting his heart on mine and guiding it to my heart. I give him a small smile.
"Thanks for making me feel better. Who are you here to see or do you just come here to cheer random people up?"
"Yep pretty much," Ross quickly answered.
"Ok..." my phone vibrates and I look to see that I have a text from my mum. "Oh I gotta go. My mum wants me home for dinner. Umm... it was nice meeting you. Thanks for your help," I awkwardly add.
"Hey can I look at your phone?"
"Uh yeah sure" I say as I hand my phone to Ross. I don't really mind it's a flip phone anyway. "It's really not that interesting..." I notice that he plays with the buttons a bit then hands my phone back.
"Hope to see you around Laura," Ross smiles as he begins to walk off.
"Yeah. You too..." I say softly completely dazed.
"See ya next year Dad," I say and kiss my fingers before placing them on his name for the last time.