Chapter 18

Laura's POV

I'm still comprehending what Rydel told me earlier when Ross walks in the front door five hours after leaving this morning. 

"Hey Ross, can I talk to you?"

"Yeah sure, come on let's go to my room," as we walk up the stairs I try to figure out how I'm going to bring what I've found out up, I guess I just have to go for it. I look at him and notice that he looks like a shell of the Ross I am so in love with. 

"So, I was talking to Rydel and I just want you to know that I'm here for you, I don't know what happened to you in the World Trade Centre that day but I understand how you feel, so just remember you can always talk to me," silence ensues and I begin to get extremely nervous, "Ross?" I notice his eyes that are always the most beautiful shade of brown are almost black and my heart races. And then he explodes,

"How dare you! You have no idea what I'm going through, what happened to me is so completely different to what happened to you!" and with that he walks out of the room slamming the door as I sit helplessly on the bed tears streaming down my face. A few seconds pass of complete silence before Rydel runs into the room demanding to know what happened, between sobs I manage to explain the situation and Rydel just looks at me with sad eyes,

"Oh Laur, it's ok, look I know you lost your dad but nobody knows what happened to Ross except for himself so he probably feels like the only person who could understand is him. He will come around I promise but for now we should let him cool off and come to you rather than going to him." I nod and hug Rydel just as Riker runs into the room with a panicked expression.

"Guys, come on, it's Ross,"

"What is it?"

"He's gone, I thought he was just going for a walk but then I heard the car leave and when I walked out his phone was lying on the kitchen bench,"

"Crap!" Rydel says under her breath, "this hasn't happened for 6 years, ok we better go." 

"What? What's happened? Where are we going?" 

"Ross ran away, it used to happen every year but it hasn't happened for a while," Rydel explains, "Come on, we'll need all the help we can get,"

Everyone gathers in the living room and Riker and Rydel take over devising a plan to head to all of the places Ross used to run to and all of his favourite places. We split off and agree to meet in three hours. I can't help but think that this is all my fault. Ross wouldn't have left if I hadn't brought it all up, why didn't I just keep my mouth shut? My worry must have been plastered on my face because Rydel turned to me and reassured me,

"Hey Laur, it's not your fault, we're gonna find him, we always do." 

__________________

It's been 5 hours since Riker discovered that Ross was missing and we still haven't found him. Rocky found the car at Ross' favourite park but there was no sign of Ross, it's starting to get dark and everyone is starting to get seriously worried because Rydel told me that he is usually home by now. I don't know what to do or where to look, everyone is just scattered around the city looking anywhere now because nobody has any idea where he could be, we're just hoping that we'll find him before he has to spend a night out here. 

I look up and realise that I've begun walking towards the memorial and it's a forlorn wish but maybe being with Dad will help me work out where Ross could be. As I turn the corner I see the sandy blonde hair that I've been lucky enough to witness every day for the past few months. I quickly text Rydel telling her I've found him and not to worry and that I'll bring him home soon. She replies instantly with a huge thank you and to tell him that she loves him. When I look up at Ross again I see that he is standing right where Dad is, I walk over slowly and when he turns to me my heart breaks. His beautiful chocolate brown eyes are filled with tears and empty, I don't say a word, just hugging him as we sink to the floor.