Chapter 20

Laura's POV

So today is the day, September 11. It has been a week since Ross told me everything and we work through our pain together every day. I convinced him to tell his family and to promise to never run away or become distant, he needed to tell them when he was hurting so that he could help. I also told my mom the whole story, she needed closure, she needed to know that he loved her more than anything. 11 years on and all of us are finally able to put together some of the pieces of the puzzle surrounding Dad's death, I might never get a full picture but that's ok with me. 

We're going to see him today, and for once I won't be alone, mom and Ross have agreed to come. I'm glad that we can all go together and thank him for everything he has done. When we arrive mom places the flowers we bought together next to his name, and for the first time she leans over and whispers, "I love you," and I know then and there that she can now move on. The hole that has burned in her heart for the last 11 years is finally starting to close. 

Next is Ross, he just stands there with his hand over his name and apologises for not saving him, but then he glances at me and thanks my Dad for saving him because he would not have met me if he hadn't been pushed. Ross slowly makes his way back to me and kisses me whispering, "I love you," before smiling and turning me towards my Dad. 

I honestly didn't think this day would come, the day when I would be able to believe that I could get passed this, passed the loss of the Dad I loved so much. But here I was, ready to take the next step with the love of my life, I smiled, I knew it wasn't the last time I was going to be here but it did feel like the end of something. I guess it was the end of not knowing and the beginning of healing. I took a deep breath and walked towards him,

"Hey Dad, thank you for everything, I know you're not here any more and I miss you so much but I need to thank you for bringing Ross to me. You are and always will be my hero but now I have another hero, right here next to me." I grab Ross' hand and smile, because even in death my Dad saved me and now he can rest easy knowing that Ross is here to save me every single day of my life, because he is my superhero.