Support

I reached for the sleeves of the blue jumpsuit I was wearing and tied them around my waist, exposing the gray tank top I was wearing underneath, allowing the breeze to brush against my hot skin.

It was a hot day in Detroit. Normally, we didn't get these kinds of high temperatures, and when we did, they weren't very popular around the firehouse. It made wearing all the equipment even harder for us.

I went to tie my long hair up into a ponytail, when I felt my phone vibrating inside my right pocket, alerting me of a new incoming call. I instantly frowned and let go of my hair, before I reluctantly shoved my hand into the pocket and searched for the mobile. I sighed at the sight of Annie's name on my screen, my day was crappy as it was, having my older sister hit me up in the afternoon couldn't possibly mean anything good.

I picked up the phone and brought it to my ear, the first thing coming through being a growl. "I'm gonna go ahead and assume your days is as good as mine." I said sarcastically.

"You have no idea. I'll tell you about mine if you tell me what's wrong with yours." She offered, causing me to frown again.

"Day isn't even over yet, Ann. I'm still working, why are you making a social call? Couldn't it wait a couple more hours?" I asked, in my voice a clear tone of annoyance that didn't go unnoticed.

"Damn, sis. What's wrong?" I looked up and watched my brother in silence as he walked pass me, his eyes showed the growing sadness he carried inside, too self conscious to even meet my glare. I shook my head, trying to get rid of all the anguish I was feeling at the moment.

"Well, Evan got some bad news at the anual check up today. Sounded serious enough for Captain Nash to let him go for the time being until he makes a full recovery. He developed a pulmonary embolism due to a blood clot in his lungs and two more in his legs. He's not getting back to work in a while." I explained. "He just broke down the news to Bobby half an hour ago. Buck's pretty upset and sad."

"Damn, that's gonna take a toll on your finances, ain't it? Only one paycheck coming in every month... Welcome to the struggle, little sis." She sounded as worried as I was even through the phone.

"Yeah, might save me some money on babysitters for a while..." I joked, trying to light up the mood. "What's wrong with you?"

"Me? No, I'm fine. It's Beth... She found out Dean's been cheating on her." She rapidly corrected me, her words carrying spite and anger.

"With who? His right hand? Ain't nobody want Dean." I exclaimed, perhaps a little too loud, causing some coworkers to look at me weird. Luckily, my brother was in the dressing room and couldn't hear me. "Don't tell Buck yet, none of you. You know him, he's hotheaded and he's gonna kick Dean's ass. He can't get in those kinds of confrontations right now."

"Sure, yeah. You got it. Can you come over to Beth's place though? She really needs your support right now. I know you two don't always get along, but you're still sisters, you know?"

"Fine." I sighed, before I was interrupted by another incoming call from Athena. "Sorry Annie, I gotta go. Sergeant Grant is on hold. Must be pretty important if she's calling me in the middle of my shift. I'll see you tonight. Bye."

💵

"That little shit." I ranted, hugging my oldest sister while, over Beth's shoulder, I watched Annie choke on a bottle of vodka.

The redhead sniffed into my shoulder as Ruby grabbed a drink and sat down on the couch behind us and Annie spoke mindlessly in the background, causing us to pull away.

"Honey, what can we do?" Ruby asked.

"How about a screwdriver..." Annie questions, looking at all of us.