Next Of Kin

Just for reference, these are Harry, Athena and May Grant. For those who haven't watched 9-1-1. You don't know what you're missing 😙👌🏻

 Warning: There are mentions of suicide, it's in the show (9-1-1), and it's very real so I wanted to add it to the story

Warning: There are mentions of suicide, it's in the show (9-1-1), and it's very real so I wanted to add it to the story. It also goes to show how much Megan sees her friends as her family more than her own blood.

I got out of the Jeep and walked over to the porch, the sun shining bright above me, hitting my fair skin as the breeze of a summer noon brushed against my slim body.

I felt my phone vibrate inside the pocket of my jacket as I inserted the keys into the door lock and opened it with ease. First thing I heard was Harry playing with his set of Legos in the common area, and sitting next to him, I found my little girl, watching him, delighted by the castle he was building. "I see you take after your father." I joked, getting their attention.

Mackenzie's arms instantly reached out for me, however, she didn't even attempt to get up, while Harry just game me a sweet smile. That boy was so sweet I suspected Athena's teeth were full of cavities by now. He absolutely loved my daughter, and loved spending time with her.
Athena had made it very clear he wasn't getting another sibling, specially now that she had separated from Micheal, so he took comfort in being a big brother to Mac.

"How'd you like being a babysitter?" I asked Harry, dropping my bag on the couch behind him before I crouched down and kissed his forehead.

"It's pretty cool. We get to play a lot and Mac just gets excited by every little thing I do. It's like I'm her idol." He said with a wide smile in his face. "And I get paid for it. So it's a two for one. Best deal ever."

Mac finally stood up and hugged me lovingly. "I missed you." She said, her big blue eyes meeting mine when she finally pulled away.

"I missed you too, baby girl." I replied, getting lost in that deep babyblue, she definitely had her father's eyes. I grinned slightly at the thought of him, before the bad memories began to overwhelm me.

"Aunty, Meg. I think your phone's buzzing." Harry commented, his gaze traveling to my jacket before he focused on the castle again.

"Yeah, thanks sweetie." I sighed. There was only two people that would call me repeatedly like that, and they were exactly the two people I was trying to ignore. "Baby, how about you play for a little bit, while I take this call." I offered to my four year old. "I'll take the three of you out for lunch in 10. So get ready, Potter. We're getting Thai food." The boy didn't waste any time and ran off into the hallway that led to the bedrooms while I grabbed my phone. I saw Beth's name in my screen and sighed in annoyance. I got up and accepted the call. "She picked up." Was the first thing I heard.

I made my way through the hallway and went straight to May's room, knocking on the hard wood door. "Megan, where are you? I've been calling you nonstop."