Under Pressure Part II

Hen, Denny and Karen-

I sat on the passenger's side of the Mercedes G Wagon belonging to Rio

I sat on the passenger's side of the Mercedes G Wagon belonging to Rio. He closed his door and sat comfortably on his seat. He was relaxed unlike me. His glare traveled from the steering wheel to me, like he was expecting me to speak up, but I was too distressed to even say a word.

"I got somewhere to be." I finally told him.

He crooked a smile and nodded, before he turned the engine on. "Where's that?" I furrowed my brow and looked at him with narrowed eyes. I shook my head.

"You are not coming with me." I stated.

He seemed amused by my sudden burst of bravery. So was I. But I was more worried about him being in my daughter's presence than anything else at the moment. "I'll tell you what, doll." He said, repositioning himself on his seat to get a better glimpse of me. "I'll give you a ride. And you tell me how you got that phone." I swallowed hard and considered his offer.

"Fine. But you tell me why you're bothering my sister again." The corners of his mouth rose up slightly. "County farm park." He wrapped his long fingers around the wheel and drove away. "So?"

"Your big sis, Elizabeth. She went looking for me a couple days after you guys did the job. She offered the other two up for another job. Don't think they know about it either." He explained.

I struggled with the idea of Beth getting involved with that man again. She'd be risking it all. Her kids, her friendships, her life... But again, there was no reason for that man to lie to me. Besides, Beth's behavior when I went to assist Rio's associate, now seemed suspicious. This would explain why she was acting like she didn't want me there. So frenetic and worried. Constantly checking on me while I tried to stitch the boy up. "I'm guessing it's about the money..." I sighed.

"I don't know. I think she likes the adrenaline that comes with the job. Bein' a boring suburban housewife and whatnot..." He looked at me briefly and gave me a crooked smile. "Do you?"

I scoffed and looked down at my clothes. I was still wearing my blue firefighter shirt. "I think I get enough of that on the daily. Almost drowned the other night trying to save a mom from a sinking airplane down at the gold Coast. They're both fine, though. The boy and the mom." I said.

I noticed he looked at me carefully, but he kept quiet. I assumed he didn't care about my job, the calls I got or the lives I saved. It was unusual. Everyone else seemed to enjoy them. But again, he wasn't everyone else. So I changed the topic. "About the phone. I thought maybe if I could get your name, I could get you to stop bothering Beth. But it seems like she doesn't mind you after all. I don't even know why I even try with her. She's always treated me like I'm the fucked up. But look at perfect little Elizabeth Buckley now. Sorry, Boland." I retrieved. He probably didn't care about my family drama, but I needed to get it out of my chest, even if he had to unwillingly play therapist. "I wish you good luck though. She's your issue now. I'm done with her bullshit. I have a life of my own. A family I need to take care of. And a Job. I'm most definitely out. I don't want any of this."