Walls Tumbling Down [Part I]

That night, I woke up to a call from Ruby. I was laying in bed, warm sheets tightly wrapped around my thin body as my arms held loosely to the pillow I used as a temporarily replacement for a non existent boyfriend. When Shake it off started playing and my phone buzzed. I reached for it and lazily opened an eye to check the name on the screen.

I disconnected the charger and accepted the call. "Do you have a death wish?" I moaned, still very much asleep.

"We're taking Sarah to the hospital." She said.

🚒

Mac's head rested on my shoulder as held her in my arms. I was currently talking to the doctor, along with Ruby and Stan. They had asked me to be there with them as they didn't fully understand what was going on, and I had kept tabs on Sarah's medical history for many years.

"Has Sarah been taking her medicine lately?" I asked both parents.

I could see the distress and confusion in their eyes as they looked at me expectably.

"Sarah's had a seizure." I added.

"Wait, what?" Stan exclaimed.

"She was doing so much better. I don't understand." Ruby stated.

"Her kidney's basically non-functioning at this point."

"Oh God." Stan sighed, noticeably distressed.

"We're not sure how this happened, but we have a theory, given what miss Buckley has mentioned..." The female doctor said.

"I think she has stopped taking her medicine. That's the best answer I can come up with given the situation in which she relapsed. However, Doctor Krystein will start dialysis and get her stabilized."

"Then what?" Stan asked.

"We'll run some tests, try to get you more answers."

"Guys, did you see Sarah take her medicine?" I wondered.

Ruby sat on the question for a moment before she nodded confidently. "Every night."

"Did you see her swallow it?"

🚒

I went back home after a couple of hours. Ruby and Stan wanted to go check their daughter's room and search for the pills Sarah had apparently failed to swallow, so I stayed back until they could return to their little girl. I knew she was asleep, but I hated the thought of Sarah waking up to an empty hospital room.

When made it to my bed, I closed my eyes and allowed myself to relax, however, my mind wouldn't stop running. Sarah had me extremely worried and I couldn't stop playing the worst scenario in my head on a loop. Luckily for me, my alarm went off. For once, I was glad I had to go to work at 5 a.m.

After a long shower and a quick breakfast, I saw my brother walk into the apartment. He looked tired, like he had pulled a doble shift. Accurately, he had.

"I feel like I haven't seen you in ages." He declared, dropping his stuff on my couch before making his way to me, hugging me.

"That's cause we haven't seen much of each other lately. You know, now that you're moving in with that girlfriend of yours." I said, pulling away as I rolled my eyes.

"It's Abby and I don't wanna start an argument right now. I'm gonna head off to bed and enjoy my two hours of sleep before I take Mac to school." He finally locked his blue eyes on me, noticing the black bags under my eyes. "You look like shit, sis."

I chuckled slightly. "I've been up since 2 a.m. Ruby's daughter's at hospital for kidney failure. I went over to the hospital to see how I could be of use." I informed him.

Suddenly, Buck's expression went from exhaustion, to concern. "Is-is she okay?" He wondered.

"She's gonna need a transplant. We'll see. She's a fighter though. She's gonna push through."

🚒

I was driving Buck's Jeep to the station when a thought pupped into my mind. Did I have to tell Rio about the FBI agent that visited me? Did I have to warn him? Did I owe him that much? Hell no. However, I owed myself that much. I didn't need to be caught in a half lie.

I grabbed my phone from my bag and searched for his number as I waited at a red light. Finally, I found it and pressed call. The phone rang a couple times before his voice came through the speaker, it sounder rougher, huskier than normal.

"What?" He answered.

It was then that I realized it was 4:45 in the morning. "Well, won't you look at that. Here I was thinking crime never slept. Silly, little me." I said sarcastically. "I was just calling to let you know an FBI Agent came to my home asking about you. Told him you were an one night stand and that I haven't seen you since my nephew's birthday. Told him the only reason you were photographed walking out of Beth's house was because I had a pregnancy scare and you were there to bring me a test. Haven't seen you ever since and have no intentions to do so." I ranted.

He seemed a little taken back for a moment, as the silence echoed through the whole car's cabin. "You made me look good?" He asked. I could almost see the smirk on his sleepy face.

"Told him you were disappointingly but unsurprisingly small. Lasted too short and came too fast. Told him to do with that information what he will and sent him on his way. Have a wonderful day, Rio." I said, and I hung up on him.

Look, I know it's super, extra short, but either tomorrow or the day after I'm gonna be posting a long one, and y'all know how long those chapters can be, so yeah.

Btw, how do you think Rio is gonna get back at Megan for those little, snarky, comments? Will he be amused, or pissed?