Mo Problems

I poured myself a glass of whiskey and took a sip. I could feel the tears escaping my eyes as I asked myself why? Why did they always had to go to one extreme or the other? I couldn't understand it.

I finished my drink and left the glass on the counter before I rubbed my eyes tiredly. I hadn't even checked on my daughter yet, I walked into the apartment and went straight to the cabinet where I usually hid my alcohol. I rarely took a drink, but in days like these I really needed something to calm me down. And alcohol did that for me.

"Fucking Beth." I thought. She usually made everything about her and it always seemed like her problems were everyone else's as well. I could understand, she was going through a tough time, but stealing from a gang leader? That was a new kind of stupid. She had always been shielded from the real world. She went from our parents house to living with her husband, her biggest accomplishment being baking 300 damn cupcakes in one night, both nut and gluten free. Impressive.

I chuckled slightly when I remembered walking into the school gym after the station was called on an allergy emergency. Some kid experienced an allergy attack after eating Beth's cupcakes. That was a fun memory. I could still see the shock in her face.

After hanging out in my kitchen for a bit, I decided to take a shower. I smelled like booze and crime and it was disgusting me, almost making me gag.

💵

"Adult male, down, on the hillside. We got three kids in a bouncy house." Hen reported into her radio as I approached the cliff, stopping right next to her and Bobby.

"All right, we're gonna stage the trucks on that service road. Hen, I want you and Megan to rappel down, anchor that bouncy house. Assess the condition of those kids, start to send them down one by one in a basket. I'll take care of the dad." Nash informed, his gaze continuously going back to the bouncy house handing from the cliff, barely holding on to the last stake, which, single-handedly, kept it from going downhill. "Chimney, you're gonna stay up here and work the winch."

"Hey. How come I never get to do any of the fun stuff?" The Asian man complained, confronting the captain.

"Fun? There are three kids trapped in a bouncy house that's one wind-blow away from falling into an abyss. What's fun about that?" I groaned at him, before I turned around and went back to the truck to get my gear, however, I was stopped midway through by a man I recognized instantly.

"Megan! Oh, thank god." Dean exclaimed, grabbing me by my shoulders and slightly shaking my body.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, my confused gaze going back to my team for a split moment before it landed back on my brother-in-law.

"It's Kenny." He stuttered. "He was in the bouncy house. How is he? Is he okay? You have to get him back. Oh, my God. Beth is so gonna kill me." He rambled for a couple seconds while my brain processed the information.

"Kenny's what?" I exclaimed, causing some curious eyes to look my way, including Hen's, who just happened to be walking toward the truck.

"Everything okay?" My friend asked, her cautious glare moving between Dean and I, before it rested on the physical contact my brother-in-law had established. She raised an eyebrow towards him, signaling him to get his hands off me.

"Hen, this is my sister's husband, Dean." I spoke when he broke contact. "He just informed me my oldest nephew is in the bouncy house." I said nervously.

"I can get Chimney to replace you if you're feeling overwhelmed." Hen suggested, stroking my right shoulder as she gave me a sympathetic look.

"No, it's fine. I got it. It's my nephew. I can do this." I assured her. "We gotta suit up."