On The Hook

Megan walked into her apartment. It was late at night, and she was carrying Mac's tiny body in her arms, her blonde locks spread all over her mother's shoulder as her head rested there, slight snores escaping her rosey lips. She was completely worn out from the event.

Megan looked around, seemingly confused. Evan had told her he'd be spending the night at her place that day, before finally moving in with his new girlfriend the next day. She had expected him to at least be watching a movie on the living room's Tv. Yet, there was an overwhelming silence in that apartment. Not to mention the darkness that embraced it, only light that illuminated the living room space came from the street light outside her building.

Putting Mac in bed and tucking her in, Megan sat on the edge of the mattress, and as she did every night, she watched her daughter sleep for a little bit. She almost couldn't believe how lucky she was to have such a great kid. Mac was beautiful beyond belief. She was a smart, cheerful and loving child. Loved socializing, playing, learning. She was curious and eager to see and learn more about everything that surrounded her. She cared about people, and was Megan's biggest support system. She had never showed her any kind of concern regarding her job. Never seemed too scared to lose her mother. She trusted Megan would always come back home to her. 

After placing a kiss on her forehead, Megan walked out of the little girl's room and into the kitchen. There, she saw a male figure standing next t0o the sink. Her heart almost jumped out of her chest as a gasp exited her rosey lips. "Damn it, Evan..." She whispered. 

In the darkness of the room, her brother stood suspiciously quiet. He looked upset, at least as far as she could tell from the other side of the room, and in the dim light coming from the streets. "Megan, I'm gonna ask you something, and I want you to be completely honest with me, yeah?" The young woman took a step forward, resting her pale hands on the island that now separated the twins. 

"Okay..." She said softly.

"Is Mac's biological father in prison?" Megan furrowed her brow in confusion. How did he get that information? She wondered. Little to no people knew about Nick, and her family sure wasn't in that small circule. 

"H-How..." She didn't get to finish that question when her brother cut her off.

"You got a call from the Maximum-security Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center. A recording asked if I wanted to accept that call. I did, and some guy named Nick said he was Mac's father. He got really fucking aggressive when he thought I was your boyfriend and not your brother." Megan noticed the black jersey Evan was wearing, and for a moment, she thought of Rio. Nick would go nuts if he knew she had hooked up with him. Even if she had ended things with Nick a long time ago. "So?"

Megan locked her blue eyes on her brother. He wore a desperate look on his face that made her stutter. "I-- yes. He, he was in the FBI when I met him. He was charming and overall great. We- we dated for a while, but then he started getting more possessive over me. I thought it was flattering at first, you know, that he wanted to protect me. I thought his jealousy came from a place of love and care. But then, we fell off. Kind of. I found out about my pregnancy, we rekindled things, but he became even more obsessive over time. He did some pretty awful things when he thought he was losing us. It ultimately landed him in prison."

Evan's anger became to wear off a little bit as his eyes began to look at his sister with empathy. He softened his features and relaxed his shoulder before speaking in a more calm manner. "Why didn't you say anything?"

"Why would I want to speak on this? Hasn't it been enough torture to have gone through it? Live through it? To also have to speak about it to the people that were supposed to be there for me when I needed them the most, but weren't because of their own selfish reasons? Because they made the conscious choice to walk out on me?" Megan saw the shadow of regret now darkening the blue in his eyes, but made a mental note to purposefully ignore it. 

"Megan..."

"Next time you want to confront me about a part of my life you chose to stay out of, I suggest you pick a nicer approach. Now get out of my house. I am tired, and honest to God, I don't wanna see you right now." Without saying another word, Megan turned her back on her brother and walked into her bedroom, shutting the door behind her as she slid down to the floor, tears running down her cheeks as she tried her best to cry in silence as and not wake Mac up.

Megan waited impatiently to hear Evan leave her apartment, and finally sighed in relief when she heard the door close behind him. She was sick and tired of people asking questions about Nick, and bringing him up every chance they got. Nick was gone and that was it. She needed him to stay gone for her own sake. 

That's when a thought popped into her mind: How did Nick get her new number?

It had been a couple of hours after that awful interaction when Megan's phone buzzed. She read Beth's text that simply said. "We need to talk. Meet us at the park."

Megan whipped the tears still streaming down her warm cheeks and began to type. "Sorry, can't do. Had a fight with Evan, I'm out of babysitters. I can't leave Mac alone."

A minute later, she received a new message, this time, it was Annie. "Please, you know how he gets when you don't show up."

Megan furrowed her brow in confusion. They weren't planning on meeting up with Rio at a part, in the middle of the night, were they? "You got a Deathwish I don't know about? Why are you meeting up with him? And why does Beth always seem to forget to mention it?"

"IDK. You both get real weird when we meet up. Plus Beth knows the probabilities of you ditching on us increase the moment you know he'll be there too. Can you blame her?"

"Yes." "Also, not changing my mind. My daughter's in bed. We're both exhausted, and I don't know if you've missed the latest news, but I just had a pretty nasty argument with Evan. Whatever y'all are getting into, I only agreed to HELP YOU clean his money. As far as I know, my job is done until the next drop off. Whatever you planning, leave me out of it. Unless y'all are quitting."

"We're delivering the money to him now. Ruby wants out. So I guess that's what we'll do."

"Good. I don't want any part of this business either. I'll get someone to do a wellness check on you if you don't call me by tomorrow."

"So thoughtful of you, Meg." The girl smiled slightly at the screen and put her phone down. At least one less thing to worry about. One less problem in her life. Or so she thought.

Sorry guys, I know it's not much but work has been absolutely hell and my shifts are so annoyingly crazy, I can't find the time to do anything I like. So, yeah, I had a couple of hours today and decided to give y'all a little something. I don't have to work on Wednesday so expect a new chapter by then.

Like I said, it's not much, but I think we all know how this goes, Megan doesn't show up so Rio does. A little one on one interaction for the next chapter.

Love y'all and as always, thanks for the support.