18

The crowd was cheering loudly for the basketball team waiting for the game to start, Maddy included

The crowd was cheering loudly for the basketball team waiting for the game to start, Maddy included. She was standing talking with Sheri when she noticed Clay making his way through the crowd and seemingly getting into an altercation with Tyler, Marcus and Courtney before Mr.Porter intercepted. Her breath got caught in her throat when she saw him walking towards Zach. Shit he must be on his tape.

He was standing in the middle of the court as if in a trance and completely ignoring the yells for him to get off and it wasn't until a few minutes later he finally shook himself out of it.

"Clay are you okay?" Sheri questioned when he was about to walk past them. He looked at Maddy then back to Sheri with a blank expression "Do you even care?" he replied before looking back at Maddy "You're on them too aren't you? You're a murderer" he stated coldly making Maddy feel slightly nauseous. 

Justin who heard what he said walked over angrily "Watch your fucking mouth Jenson" however Clay just shook his head and sat on the bleachers, glaring at Zach.

"Mads are you okay?" Justin asked the girl softly who looked as though she was on the verge of a panic attack.

"Yeah..no I'm fine J go finish the game" she reassured weakly as she held onto Sheri's hand. He looked hesitant but nodded nonetheless.

***

The girls were back to cheering, Maddy being a bit biased and mostly cheering for Justin and Zach, when Clay caught the basketball after it flew into the stand. Everyone was waiting for him to throw it back onto the court but he just stayed sat, not moving a muscle as everyone grew antsy and annoyed.

"Jenson come on, throw the damn ball" Zach exclaimed as boo's and murmurs started in the crowd.

Tyler ended up having to take it from him and throw it himself. "What the fuck" Maddy whispered to herself as she stared at Clay, she was extremely worried about him despite what he called her.

Maddy and Sheri walked over once they noticed the look on their coach's face after Jessica came through the doors. "Uh-uh. No way you've been late to practice twice this week. Now you miss most of the first quarter?" Coach asked.

"I'm sorry I didn't know I was going to be so late" Jessica replied, looking towards Maddy for help but she just gave her an apologetic look, there wasn't much she could do even if she was captain.

"Jess look you got a problem, come to me we'll work it out" she reasoned before continuing "but I'm sorry, you're out of todays game"

"What a cunt" Maddy growled once coach walked away before hugging Jess "I missed you bitch"

Jess nodded and laughed lightly, glad to be seeing her best friend as they've not spent much time together recently "I missed you too, go back to cheering okay?"

Maddy nodded and dragged Sheri with her over to the other cheerleaders when she noticed Monty with Bryce and a few other jocks who don't play basketball. She blew him a kiss and smiled widely, receiving a wink back.

***

"Zach! Zach! Zach! Zach!" the crowd chanted excitedly when Zach continued to score points. Everyone was going crazy including the cheerleaders. It all came to an abrupt stop when Clay ran on to the court.

"Stop. Stop it. Stop playing. Stop the game. Stop it. Stop. Stop!" He frantically yelled causing the gym to fall silent besides the occasional whispers who were wondering what the fuck was wrong with Clay.

Maddy stared at him exasperated, he's completely lost it. He ran out of the doors as soon as he snapped out of whatever confused state he was in, distress clearly shown all over his face while the whispers grew louder after he left.

Maddy, Justin and Zach all shared a knowing look however equally as worried.

"Okay let's finish the game" the referee spoke, bringing everyone out of their private conversations.

"Hey Mads come here for a sec" Monty called out from behind her. She nodded and discreetly following him out into the hallway. As soon as they were out the doors she threw her arms around him "I've missed you so much" she whispered.

"I've missed you too, my dad was really mad about the suspension so I couldn't leave the house" he softly spoke into the crook of her neck. She pulled back and put her soft hands delicately onto his face before giving him a slow and gentle kiss, savouring the moments she had missed out on.

"Why don't we go for a drive and then you can sleep at my place?" she asked hopefully, sighing happily when he nodded and grabbed her hand, leading them out the school and to his truck.

"Milady" he spoke teasingly as he held the passenger door open for her which made her giggle "Thank you good sir" she replied in the same tone.

He got into the driver's seat and pulled out of the school car park, intertwining their hands together.

He looked over at her adoringly "You're so gorgeous Mads, I love you" he spoke up suddenly.

"I love you too Monty" she cooed.