20

BEFORE

BEFORE

"Okay it's time to look at our anonymous class discussion bag and see what we have this week" Mrs.Bradley called out to the class as she pulls a piece of paper out of a brown bag.

"Mrs.Bradley has nice ankles" the teacher read out as Maddy put her head into Zach's shoulder to try and stifle her laughs, receiving a fond look from said boy in return.

"Well I'm not sure that it is appropriate to objectify anyone in this way and certainly not a teacher but uh since this was meant as a compliment, thank you" the teacher awkwardly spoke with a smile.

"They are really nice ankles Mrs.B" a baseball player Maddy thinks is called James, states causing the class to erupt in laughs again.

"Moving on" Mrs.Bradley interrupted pulling out the next note that makes her frown slightly "what if the only way not to feel bad is to stop feeling anything at all forever"

When Maddy hears this and sees what the note is written on she stiffens slightly and straightens in her seat worriedly. It was written on a Monet's napkin, where Hannah asked to meet her yesterday. She was going to go and meet up with her, maybe they could've salvaged their friendship but Monty needed her and it totally slipped her mind.

"Wow okay um" Mrs.Bradley spoke quietly, seemingly lost for words "this is serious, there is someone who is in a great deal of pain. Who would like to open our discussion? Any initial feelings?"

"I think that whoever wrote that is just looking for attention" Courtney spoke up.

Maddy scoffed "Shut the fuck up Courtney the only person looking for attention is you"

"What if it is a call for help or something?" Sheri said and Maddy couldn't help but notice how Hannah kept flickering her eyes towards Zach as if she was waiting for him to speak up, making her confused.

"Then why not sign their name" Courtney asked making Maddy roll her eyes, she seemed to do that whenever she was in the girl's presence.

"It's called anonymous for a reason" Maddy interjected pointedly.

"Maybe it's just a joke, like someone is just fucki- sorry messing with us or something" Justin called out making the short brunette beside him give him an incredulous look.

"That's idiotic" Skye spoke up this time.

"How do you know Skye?" a jock called Aaron questioned.

"Because who would joke about that?" she rhetorically asked.

"Why don't you tell us Skye? Do you see what it was written on? Don't you work at Monet's?" Aaron continued to interrogate.

"As if that means shit Aaron almost everyone here goes there" Maddy spat.

"Whoever wrote that was in pain" Skye said, Maddy nodding in agreement gaining a smile from Hannah, she may not have gotten Zach to speak up but at least she knew Maddy still cared a little even if she didn't know it was her who wrote it. Even though she did. 

"So what? They're in pain. I'm in pain. High school is painful so what. Get over it" Pratters stated boredly receiving a kick to the shin from Maddy.

"Enough. I think it was very brave of this person to tell us how they are feeling and I want them to know that they are not alone. There are lots of excellent resources for people struggling" the teacher spoke.

"Are you fucking kidding me" Maddy exclaimed, standing up angrily ignoring the surprised gasps from her peers "that's it? 'there are lots of resources' someone in this class just wrote a note about not wanting to feel anymore and you want to just move on from it? ignore the fact someone here is struggling?"

Everyone was staring at her in shock, not expecting an outburst from the girl on a topic like this but Hannah felt her heart warm at the girl's words. She was so kind and compassionate, nothing like her friends and she felt horrible for ever thinking otherwise.

 The teacher was struggling to find any words to support her case so Maddy gave both the boys beside her a small squeeze on their arm before storming out of the classroom.

***

Maddy and Jeff were both lying on his couch in his basement. If Maddy could, she would spend the rest of her life down there she loved it.

"I fucking hate school I can't wait to get away from here" Maddy sighed, looking up at her best friend from where she was leaning on his shoulder.

"You're gonna leave me?" Jeff pouted mockingly.

"I'd never leave you J, you're like my soulmate. You're coming with me" she smiled.

The boy swallowed thickly, heart fluttering just looking at the girl beside him "You deserve better than this place Mads" he stated, whispering to himself "better than him too".

"Don't worry wherever I go you'll be right there with me, i'd literally die without you" she giggled.