32

Monty helped Maddy get into his truck for their ride to school when she noticed Scott in the backseat, looking at her nervously "Mads hey about what I said yesterday

Monty helped Maddy get into his truck for their ride to school when she noticed Scott in the backseat, looking at her nervously "Mads hey about what I said yesterday.. I didn't mean it like that" 

"Yeah I know Scott" she sighed, she had more things to worry about than an immature joke and she knew Scott wasn't like that.

"You okay baby?" Monty questioned as he noticed her distressed face.

"I'm fine it's just this trial, I've been called to testify" she confessed, not seeing the look both boys shared.

"Why? What do they want to talk to you for?" Monty scoffed.

"I'm not sure probably why we stopped being friends? Why are you getting worked up about this?" she queried, looking at her boyfriend through squinted eyes.

He knew exactly why they stopped being friends, because Hannah Baker couldn't her nose out of other people's business "You better not fucking talk about me" he suddenly snapped causing both Maddy and Scott to jump and look at him wide-eyed. However whilst Scott was confused, Maddy was scared.

"I wouldn't Monty" she stated, resting a hand on his arm. Before she could utter anything else he gripped her wrist tightly and his dark angered eyes looked into her light fearful ones "You better not" he muttered.

"Hey what the fuck?" Scott's voice brought them out of their trance, forgetting he was even in the car. He was looking between the two and the large hand that encased the girl's small wrist almost in disbelief, Monty never let anyone see when he hurt Maddy so to him, this was a shock. The way he was studying their expressions and body language however he realised it definitely wasn't the first time this happened.

"It's fine Scotty he didn't mean it" the short brunette muttered and mustered up a smile. 

"Mads I-" Scott's words got cut off by Monty's, sending the boy into silence.

"I didn't mean it and she knows I didn't mean it. I'd never hurt her, right baby?" he laughed, as if the thought of him hurting her was so bizarre.

"Yeah, right" she smiled, pecking his cheek lightly. She didn't have to look at her friend in the back seat to know the expression he would be wearing. It was the same one all her friends wore when she brushed off Monty's antics. He didn't mean it, he didn't mean it.

***

The three of them walked into school, none of them mentioning the occurrence that just happened or the fact that the couple seemed to be acting perfectly fine? It just made Scott wonder how many times this happened right under everyone's noses.

"Maddy" the three looked up to see Sheri with an anxious look on her face, half expecting Maddy to hit first and ask questions later. 

"Sheri..hey" Maddy stated in surprise. Although she's still upset over what the girl done, she knows it was an accident as Sheri would never hurt someone on purpose and she owned up to it eventually, spending the last few months in juvie.

"I just wanted to say I'm so sorry about- uh everything Maddy I know there's nothing I can do to ever take back what I've done and I should've told you instead of lying to you I just didn't want to lose you" she replied, sniffling slightly "I hope one day I can earn your forgiveness"

"I know Sher, I get why you lied and we can maybe meet up at Monet's sometime? Work on your 'forgiveness'" Maddy giggled "I'm sorry about beating your ass"

Sheri laughed, glad to have at least a conversation with her old best friend "I deserved it Mads, text me whenever okay?"

Monty and Scott were glad the girl's made up and they wouldn't have to split up another fight, even if they had no fucking idea why they stopped being friends in the first place.

"I'm proud of you baby" Monty grinned, pulling her into his chest by her waist.

*** 

"Holy shit Alex, who's doing this?" Jess gasped. Maddy, Jess and Alex were in the cafeteria at lunch and Alex had shown the girls the treat he received. Just then, Scott walked by and raised his hand in the air, forming it into a gun making it look like he pulled the trigger pointing it straight at Alex. None of the girls noticed, too absorbed in studying the threat for any clues.

"Can you tell who's handwriting it is?" Maddy asked, unknowingly bringing Alex back to the conversation.

"Jesus, both of you put that down" he whispered, grabbing it and shoving it back into his bag.

"I'm really.. I'm really sorry Alex" Jess stuttered sorrowfully.

"So you're not alone in this" he sighed, Jess had showed them a note she got telling her to 'KEEP YOUR FUCKING MOUTH SHUT'

"Sorry I said that. That was really shitty, I'm just- this is just a lot" she rambled.

"I get it, I know" Alex replied "Wait your hair is different"

"It's her court her, I think she looks beautiful" Maddy smiled, she knew how self conscious she was about it.

"I don't like it" Alex stated causing both girls to scoff "Noted"

"What the fuck happened to your face?" Maddy questioned, bringing the other twos attention to Clay who was walking towards their table.

"Someone ran me off the road last night" he grumbled "Someone in what looked like a black Range Rover"

"Bryce" Alex immediately stated.

"You're not testifying" Maddy said in confusion.

"Does he know that?" Clay scoffed.

"I don't think it matters" Alex interrupted "Whatever it is they're coming after all of us" bringing back out the gun range photo with the words 'BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME' written.

"I haven't received a threat but..when I was talking to Monty about the trial he got really defensive and angry. He told me I better not talk about him at court" Maddy nervously spoke up, unknowingly giving the three the perfect suspect for these chilling threats.

"Did he- did he hurt you?" Jess muttered. 

"I think he was just scared" she replied, all of them noticing she avoided the question directly. 

The four of them looked over to the jocks, able to see Monty glaring right at Maddy, sending a terrifying shiver up her spine. 

"I better head over there" Maddy shakily stood up.

"Maddy maybe you should stay here with us" Clay confessed, scared for his friend after knowing what Monty is capable of.

"It's fine, I'll be at your hearing Jess, love you" she shook her head and plastered a sweet smile on her face before heading towards her hot-headed boyfriend, the look in his normally loving eyes shaking her to her core.