23

BEFORE

BEFORE

Maddy had been staying with Jess the whole summer and tonight was going to be the first party of Junior year. Maddy had just came out of the shower in the guest bedroom and put on a pair of shorts and one of Monty's shirts when she heard the doorbell.

"Mads can you get that!" Jess shouted from where she was in the shower in her own room.

When she opened the door she was surprised to see Clay on the other side.

"Is the party over?" Clay questioned, looking around the empty house in confusion earning a small laugh from Maddy.

"The party hasn't started. No one's going to be here for another hour" Maddy said.

"Oh, but i thought.. I-I heard it started at seven?" he replied sheepishly.

"Well yeah, A it's 6:55 and B, seven really means nine" Maddy shrugged apologetically.

That's when Clay noticed she wasn't even dressed for a party and her hair was still wet, she raised her eyebrows once she saw him looking at her legs.

"Oh, oh right i'll come back" he stated, turning around to walk away.

"No, no stay. You can help" she smiled, opening the door wider and when he walked through the door her nose immediately scrunched up once she got a smell of his cologne, he was practically drowning in it.

"Do you know how to tap a keg? Every guy's like, let's get a keg and when it's time to tap it-" Zach quickly cut the brunette off as he and Monty carried the keg through the kitchen to take it out the back.

"I told you it was the wrong kind of tap" Zach huffed whilst Maddy just shook her head.

"I got this babe!" Monty called out over his shoulder.

She picked up two bags filled with different snacks and turned to Clay as he spoke "Uh I really don't know how to-"

"Relax, you can do snacks" she spoke, handing the bags to him.

"Got it. Is this any special order that you want? Mixed, all in separate bowls? Certain things mixed?" Clay asked whilst Maddy rolled her eyes fondly.

"Make a choice Clay be bold. I'm going to go get ready Jess will probably be down soon" the girl spoke, patting his shoulder before heading upstairs.

***

Maddy was playing beer pong with Jeff after they had encouraged Clay to talk to Hannah. Maddy was wearing a black slip dress accented with a baby clue ruffle neckline and lace trim that kisses the hem. Jeff was struggling to take his eyes off of her, in fact most people were finding it hard which was why Monty wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into his chest eliciting a surprised gasp from the girl.

"You look amazing" he spoke into her neck, causing her to blush.

"Thanks Monty baby" she slurred slightly, pulling him down to attach their lips. They both seemed to forget where they were for a moment, or not really care because the next thing she knew Monty had lifted her onto the table that was getting used for beer pong, continuing to kiss her roughly, smiling into each others lips when they heard the groans of frustration from the players.

Jeff looked away from the scene sadly, he was never going to be the one she chose and he had to try and live with that. He'd rather have her as a best friend than nothing at all.

"Come on get a room!" Jeff laughed, covering the hurt that was written all over his face.

***

Maddy was attempting to walk up the stairs to the bathroom when Bryce came up behind her grabbing her waist "Hey where's your boyfriend" he asked, pulling her closer to is body.

She giggled, not even noticing the way he was holding on to her as she was completely out of it "He's..He's outside" she slurred, barely stringing a sentence together. 

Hannah who was sitting at the piano looked over worriedly, if she was more sober she'd like to have thought she would've interfered but after what she just witnessed in Jessica's room she was frozen to her spot. She also couldn't help but notice there was another person stood rooted to their spot, watching the interaction. Monty.

"Why don't I help you up stairs hm?" Bryce muttered, half dragging her up the stairs.

"Maddy" Jeff yelled, squeezing through the crowd to get to the girl, to let her know he was leaving for a beer run. Bryce groaned disappointedly but walked down the stairs away from her, knowing he wouldn't get the chance now. Monty let out a shaky breath of relief, looking at his girlfriend in guilt before turning away.

"Jeffy!" Maddy yelled holding on to the railing for dear life.

"Mads hey-woah" Jeff laughed steading her on her feet "I'm going on a beer run okay? Go get Monty he'll look after you and drink some water I'll see you when I'm back"

"Okay bye Jeffy love you" she garbled, wrapping her arms around him making him smile in adoration.