An Early Frost

Cordula having a dine out with her father was one thing, but bringing along her rambunctious cousin whose face was more or less planted on the Gameboy on his hands made her want to vent at something.

The atmosphere between the three became awkward. Well, awkward for Cordula, Rambo was more into his game than what Cordula and Joe Davis were busy conversing.

All of a sudden, the unmistakable roar of Godzilla travelled through Cordula's ears, and her gaze swerved to the window that showcased outside with the heavy rain pouring in. People were running and yelling as a large foot stepped on a busy street with Godzilla's roar still ringing in her ears.

"You guys stay here!" Cordula shouted as she stood up and made a mad dash outside in the pelting rain. "Wait up cuz! I need to see this!" Rambo shouted, already forgetting his Gameboy after hearing that roar. Joe pulled him back by the scruff of his neck.

"Now, now, young man. You heard what she said" Joe said as he pulled Rambo further in the diner.

***

Cordula followed after the roar through the heavy rain and spotted a large tail around the corner. She followed after it and turned to the shortest path as the roar got closer and closer to her.

Rounding another turn, she was prepared to face Godzilla till suddenly...

Nothing.

The roar stopped. Cordula blinked when she saw nothing on the streets. She looked around and back tracked her tracks and found out that the creature had just...disappeared.

"What...?"

Cordula checked the surroundings again before heading back to the dinner where her father and cousin were waiting.

She was met with Rambo running into her, his eyes excited. Cordula suddenly realized how reckless she had been in pursuing the Mutant.

"Where did you go? Did you see the creature's face? It sounded like Godzilla, the monster that's been ravaging the entire tri-state area." Cordula glanced at her father with a pleading look on her face.

"Come on Rambo my boy, you know Godzilla doesn't necessarily attack buildings" Rambo shook his head "Nuh huh, I've seen him on the news, he's been attacking everywhere" Cordula blinked "What news?"

Rambo crossed his arms "Well while you were off meeting with your groupmates for a "college project" I happened to have been watching some cool footage of Godzilla rampaging."

Joe sighed. "You know you can't just trust whatever those things on the big screen show ya." Cordula grasped Rambo by the shoulders. "Rambo, how long has this been going?" Rambo wanted to deny answering, but suddenly seeing the manic look on Cordula's face made him think otherwise.

"About a few days ago, close to a week."

***

By morning, Cordula skipped school with an excuse for rest after a traumatic event by Godzilla's sudden attack (though the excuse made her feel guilty for using the big guy) and sped off to H.E.A.T headquarters.

***

By the time she had arrived on headquarters, Nick and Major Hicks were already discussing the recent attacks. "Major, with all due respect, how can we be sure the creature on this tape is Godzilla?" Nick said as a playback from yesterday's attack with Godzilla's roar sounding on her ears.

"Oh, that certainly sounds like him" Mendel said Elsie paused the tape to take a look at the image "Identical bone structure in the metatarsus and the distal phalanx-" Elsie commented before Randy cut her off.