Trust No One

Cordula was bored.

Today was a school day, and of all days, Nick and the others were busy testing an experiment, and it was today. "Ms. Davis. I certainly hope you were listening to today's lesson instead of other unrelated topics." The voice of her professor made her snap back to reality as Cordula grinned. "Of course I did. We were just discussing the topic of genetics and DNA."

"Then I hope you all don't mind writing a short essay on DNA and genetics to be submitted next week."

All eyes turned to Cordula with different expressions on their faces. Cordula mentally rolled her eyes. Oh, please, it's not like its gonna take them long, unlike her when she actually has a job to do.

***

After another Cameron Winter fiasco, the gang was vehement in letting Cordula stay as an official H.E.A.T team member instead of being an unofficial intern. It was backed up by a giant lizard who barely showed himself back in base when Cordula had gone away for a few days due to a required field trip with her class.

Hicks had to pull major strings for Cordula to be an official intern by name alone as Godzilla's 'subject of interest'. In reality, she officially became a member of the H.E.A.T team.

Once class was over, Cordula did her daily routine of packing her bags and heading to her locker to grab her daily necessities for another trip to headquarters.

She arrived just as the team finished their little experiment.

"Hey guys. How did it go?" Seeing the disappointed looks on their faces. She grimaced. "Not good?" Randy was the only one grinning. "I don't think I could stomach it if I see G eating all that gunk," Randy said with a disgusted look on his face.

Cordula eyed Monique, who had a contemplating look on her face. "Monique, is everything alright?" Monique blinked when she saw concern written on Cordula's face.

"Ti's nothing to be concerned about. However, Philippe reached out to me concerning a possible mutation attack."

That brought the interest of the entire group as Monique showed them the confidential files Felipe had given her when he, quite literally, ambushed her on the H.E.A.T seeker when they were conducting the experiment.

"Wait, isn't this the guy that tried to off Godzilla?" Randy piqued up. Cordula's face turned sour at that little reminder. Nick scanned through the files before telling the entire team his decision.

"We go."

"You have got to be kidding?!" Elsie voiced out. "The boogeyman tells French Toast here about some mad doctor in South America and his homemade mutations, and go running, why?" Elsie looked at Nick for an answer as he replied. "Because I trust her and Felipe." He gave Elsie a stern glare to drop the subject.

"Also, I think the French is more concerned with humanity's survival. If this thing's danger level is so high, Felipe had to reach out to us. Why should we not go?" Cordula added to which Elsie had no more words to say.

"We leave at sunrise."

Nick decided.

***

The seeker slowed to a stop as Monique drove it close to the wooden docks. Randy, Elsie, and Mendel were on deck as they looked at the never-ending forested area.

Cordula was resting in one of the seeker's bunk beds. She had worked overtime on her essay just for her to join in. Now, she's catching up her missing sleep time.

A smell reached Elsie's nose as she turned to see Mendel spraying all over himself something.

"Are you aware how many diseases a mosquito can give you with one bite?" Mendel asked suddenly as Randy lowered the binoculars to look at Mendel with confusion and amusement while Elsie had a contemplating look on her face.