Leviathan

Cordula made sure her camera was on condition before she placed it in her mini bag as the Heat Seeker steadily moved to where the unknown transmission was. She had gotten an assignment in her Xenobiology class to take pictures of unusual alien sightings.

If she ever need a picture, it was today. Some would rather copy and paste but she would rather get her own photo from the real thing.

"According to the sonar we are nearing the Hazard Abyss"

Monique said from the wheel with Nick beside her as he placed the binoculars in front of his eyes "Are we still receiving the signal?" Nick asked as he looked at Mendel who was monitoring the transmission.

"Are we ever?! And we're closing in on the source" Mendel said "I don't see what's the big deal" Randy said from behind Elsie "Tacky on Transmissions?" Mendel asked.

Randy merely gave him a blink and Mendel let out a sigh if annoyance "It's far too complicated to explain" Mendel answered "Faster than light radio waves? What's so complicated?" Elsie asked and Randy looked at Mendel in shock.

"For human science maybe" Mendel said. Cordula clapped her hands "Nice work on that Mendel. Maybe you might just be the man to change society" That made Randy snort.

"What are you saying? Little green men exists?" Randy asked. Mendel gave him a raised brow look "I'm not ruling it out" Cordula raised her hand up "If mutations exists, what's the possibility of alien life forms?" Randy stayed silent after that.

"But then...why is the signal coming from the ocean floor and not like, the Planet Vulcan?" Randy asked again but was left unanswered when Nick called out.

"We've got company!"

Everyone stood in the front to see a ship in the distance "That's Alexander Prelauren's ship" There was an awed gasp coming out of Mendel's mouth.

"Preloran? The Xenobiologist?" Elsie asked in disbelief. Randy simply gave the two a confused look "A Xena-What?" Mendel gave him a brief answer of definition.

"Xenobiologist, a conceptual science. The kid's a genius"

"If Mendel praises the guy as if he were a god of science then I believe he is" Cordula said "In fact, his work on heuristic algorithms profoundly influenced my development of N.I.G.E.L" Mendel explained.

"You rip them off" Randy said as he stood beside Mendel who glared at him "Have you ever considered a career as a 'brain in a jar'?" Mendel asked to which Randy responded by blowing him a kiss.

Cordula, Mendel, Elsie and Nick headed up the front deck when the Heat Seeker got closer to the ship "So what brings him here?" Elsie asked, wondering why a Xenobiologist would be here in the middle of the ocean.

"Clearly he detected the same signal we did" Nick answered Elsie's question "We? It was my discovery" Mendel said to Nick with a frown on his face.

The Heat Seeker docked and immediately they were surrounded by men. Cordula placed the sling around her neck and her camera dangled.

Time for introductions.

***

The captain of the ship briefly explained of what had happened to The Professor and his colleagues.

"They've been down there for three days, far beyond capacity" The captain said solemnly "And you haven't sent a rescue party?!" The incredulous look Nick gave to the captain made the man narrow his eyes.

"Under no circumstances are you to come down after us. Those were Dr. Preloran's exact orders" The captain answered before they all heard the sound of men murmuring and sometimes yelling with fear in their tone.