001| The Wright Marriage Arrangement

August 30th, 1974

Isabella Wright wasn't sure of many things in life, but there was one thing she was certain of, she and her little brother Elliot were the only sane people in her family.

Isabella's family was the textbook definition of perfect. Her father was Head of the Department of Mysteries and her mother was a highly skilled Healer. Both her parents were full-blood but not part of the sacred twenty-eight. Somewhere along the way, there was an affair or something that turned their blood line impure. Which led her parents to constantly obsees over becoming a part of the elite society, no matter what it took. 

Her older brother, Lance Wright, was a sixth year at Hogwarts and already being recruited by Quidditch teams. Her younger brother Elliot is a second-year at Hogwarts. He's a metamorphmagus and a bit dorky, and the kindest soul you will ever meet. Then there was Isabella. She was decent in school and a teacher's pet, but that was all she had going for her. She didn't contribute anything valuable to the family in the way the others did.

Unfortunately, her parents planned to change that.

"I have to marry him?" Isabella whispers in shock. Her family was eating dinner, two nights before the kids returned to Hogwarts.

"Now we're not forcing you to do anything," her mother says in a tone that means they are most definitely forcing her to do something.

"We're just saying, that now is a critical time for you to fulfill your family duty. Our loyalties cannot be questioned and you marrying Regulus would help us greatly," her father explains in a stern tone. He had always used that business tone with his children, no matter how young they were.

"I'm only fourteen, and he's only thirteen," Isabella says quietly. She made sure her tone was even and didn't hint at any defiance. That would surely end with punishment for her.

"You won't get married until you're out of school, but, a promise to marry in the future will do," her mother says then purses her lips. She wasn't too fond of the idea and Isabella could tell.

"So an engagement?" Elliot blurts out squinting his eyes in confusion.

"No," her father said shortly. "We just need to convince the Blacks that Isabella is a good choice for Regulus. You will get to know him this year, correct? If he tells his parents he wishes to marry you, they will certainly consider it."

Isabella's throat dried as she listened to her father. He wanted to use his daughter to move their family up in rank. It was disgusting and medieval. Of course, Isabella would never say this to him. Isabella wasn't a fool, she knew not to defy her parents and to never talk back. So, she took a breath and shook her head politely. "Of course father."

"Good," her father said before slouching back in his chair and downing his glass of wine. He snapped his fingers. "Lucy, another glass."

The house-elf, Lucy, hurried into the room with a bottle of wine. She quickly used her magic to pour the wine into the glass. The elf was nervous though, and her hands shook, causing some wine to spill onto her father's robes. "Gargh! You stupid elf! After you clean my robes, you can use the stove for your punishment."

Isabella shrunk in her seat as she watched the elf cower in fear. The elf quickly snapped its fingers to get rid of the wine on her dad's robes. She then hurried into the kitchen, muttering to herself. Isabella watched as Elliot's eyes swelled with unshed tears. She willed her brother not to cry, afraid their father would turn his anger towards Elliot. Isabella herself, looked up at the ceiling trying to think of anything else so she didn't have to listen to the sound of the elf crying out in pain.

"So, Lance, are you excited to be a prefect?" their mother asks, quick to fill the silence.

"I'm excited to give detentions and take house points from Gryffindor," Lance smirks.