012| The Golden Children

TW: mentions substance abuse, alcohol dependency, and some negative self-talk.

January 1, 1975

"Don't think this means anything," Isabella snaps as she climbs onto the roof of the Black family home.

"Wouldn't dream of it Izzy," Sirius winks. He offers her the same flask they had drank out of on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day. It had become the only way Isabella could make it though holiday parties anymore.

Boxing Day was spent at the Rosier's manor. There was a five course meal prepared by their staff of elves. It took everything in Isabella to eat a few bites of food. Her father was staring at her the whole time which is the only reason she ate anything at all. After dinner, there was dancing in which Isabella snuck off with Sirius.

Lance was sulking the entire time they were there. Elliot was nowhere to be found, but Isabella assumed he had found a good hiding spot for the evening.

Tonight, the Black family was hosting their annual New Year's Eve party. It was less formal than the other gatherings. There wasn't a dinner, just waiters and waitresses walking around with hors d'oeuvres. Everyone else was dancing while Sirius and Isabella were hiding out on the roof.

Lance had managed to sneak his way out of this one by saying he was sick. He knew Narcissa would be gallivanting around since her aunt was hosting and he didn't want to put himself through that. Once again, Elliot was off somewhere doing his own thing. Isabella just hoped her parents wouldn't notice that all three of their children were nowhere to be found, it wouldn't look good for their image.

"So why do you keep sneaking off with me? Last time I checked you hated my guts," Sirius questions. His arms were resting on his knees as he looked out at the night sky. The reflection of the stars danced in his eyes like little shards of blue glass.

"I do hate your guts," Isabella replies simply. She takes another drink of the sour liquid and tries her best not to make a face. This liquor was definitely stronger than whatever had been in the flask the last couple of times. "However, I hate these gatherings just a tad more."

"Izzy, don't flatter me," Sirius gasps dramatically, clutching his heart and turning to her.

"It has nothing to do with you Sirius. I just happen to enjoy your alcohol," Isabella says sternly. To be honest, she hadn't completely loathed Sirius's company. She would never tell him this, but he did amuse her slightly. Once she got past the cocky, arrogant, prank-pulling, immature, little boy, Sirius wasn't too bad. Unfortunately for him, it took a lot to get past all of that.

"Careful Iz, I might start to think you're an alcoholic," Sirius muses as he nudges her softly in the ribs. Isabella glares at the boy who flashes his bright teeth back at her. He nudges her again and again until she finally lets the smallest of grins appear on her face. "Told you you enjoy my company."

"What makes you think that?" Isabella scoffs.

"Because you could easily steal liquor from my parent's cabinet. That's what I do after all," Sirius says matter-of-factly. He stares over at her, waiting for a comeback. Unfortunately for Isabella, Sirius had a point. Most of the adults were too drunk or preoccupied to notice if Isabella snuck away with a bottle. Maybe it was just the idea of sneaking off with a boy her family would disapprove of that intrigued her. In lieu of answering, Isabella downed the rest of the flask.

[][][][][]

January 3, 1975

"Holy heck," Elliot breathes as he reads the letter that had arrived for him this morning. His hair had turned a light shade of orange, his eyes widened, and his jaw hung in disbelief.