021| Black Fire

February 12, 1975

Sirius was slightly nervous about their Potions class today. He kept stealing nervous glances at the Slytherin table to see if Isabella was angry. He couldn't gauge her emotions as she sat there listening to the Greengrass and Rosier girls. She added little comments and rolled her eyes with Victoria every once in a while.

"I think if you stare a little harder she might look up," James says from beside him.

Sirius turns to James with a glare. "I was not staring at anyone."

"Sure, and James isn't obsessed with Evans," Remus snorts. He had been released from the hospital yesterday evening. Remus wanted everything to feel normal so the boys obeyed. However, Sirius was ready to hex anyone who made a comment about Remus's new scar or even looked at him for too long.

"Whatever, I just don't want her to try to curse me once we get to class," Sirius grumbles shoving some turkey in his mouth.

"Why would she try to curse you?" Peter asks inhaling his fourth brownie.

Sirius realized he slipped up as his three friends looked at him for an answer. He decided to just tell them the story. He kept it vague but basically told them she found him in the Astronomy tower and he snapped at her. He decided it was best to leave out the part about him crying, there was no need to worry them over nothing.

"Sounds pretty typical for you too," James shrugs. "You know what's not typical though? They still haven't told us what's going to happen to the rest of the Quidditch season!"

James begins a passionate rant about how it was completely unfair that their sport might be taken away. He somehow manages to twist it so that the boys were completely innocent and it was Slytherin's fault. Remus raises a brow at Sirius, knowing there was more to the story. Sirius just raises his glass, holding Remus's eye until the last second. He was certain Remus would try to corner him about it later.

Eventually, the boys made their way to the Potions classroom. Isabella was still finishing up lunch, so Sirius sat down at their table alone. Since it would be a workday today, he decided to get to work. To be completely honest, Sirius didn't mind doing schoolwork. He made good notes in all of his classes because it all came naturally to him. So brewing the Black Fire potion was not challenging.

A few minutes had passed when the hairs on the back of Sirius's neck stood up. He felt someone coming up behind him and he tensed up. Isabella plopped down in the seat next to him. She tossed her bag on the floor and pulled out her Potions textbook. Sirius glanced sideways at her, waiting for her to say something but she never did.

She looked up at him and shook her head, her eyes widening slightly in questioning. "Is there something wrong with your eyes? Why do you keep looking at me like that?"

Sirius blinked a few times, taken aback by her casualness. He smirks, pleased that she was no longer mad at him. Or at least not any madder than she usually was. "Sorry, Izzy, you know I have a thing for Slytherin girls," he flirts with a wink. Isabella just rolls her eyes and peers over the rim of the cauldron.

"I just can't believe you actually lifted a finger during this class," Isabella retorts. She glances at her book and sees that the potion is the light pink color it's supposed to be.

"You must mistake me for an idiot," Sirius gasps dramatically and sends one last teasing smile to Isabella before he continues his work.

They spend the rest of the class working together cordially. They don't go out of their way to make small talk, they only speak about their work. Sirius did most of the work, Isabella only interjecting every once in a while to make sure everything was going smoothly. By the end of the first half of class, they had completed their potion. Many other pairs were still scrambling to perfect their potions. Even Remus and Lily who were the two smartest students in their year were still working. This left Isabella and Sirius to sit awkwardly.

Sirius noticed Isabella was tapping her foot rhythmically on the foot of the table. He listened for a minute picking up on the beat. He then began drumming his fingers on the table, creating a new beat. She turns to look at Sirius who is grinning back at her childishly. Isabella tries to hold back her smile, but for once Sirius was being so innocently annoying that she couldn't.

"Did I just get the Isabella Wright to smile at me?" he mocks dropping his jaw while still smiling slightly.

"Don't push it," she whispers back. Her smile disappears as she goes back to reading the book that was in her backpack.

Sirius tried to busy himself. He watched some of his classmates for a little. When he grew bored of that, he searched in his backpack for something to entertain him. He came up short, so he decided to organize the parchment in his bag. Sirius found an old assignment and decided to fold it into an airplane.

"Bloody hell, do you ever sit still?" Isabella asks shutting her book to focus her attention on Sirius.

Sirius stops mid-fold as if his hand had been caught in the cookie jar. He looks guilty for a second before grinning. "Sorry, my dear Izzy, I didn't know I was so distracting."

Isabella shakes her head with the smallest of smiles on her lips. "My dear Sirius," she mocks leaning close to him. He could feel her breath on his cheek. It smelled minty and was warm against his face. "I wouldn't touch you with a ten-foot pole."

"Well ten feet is a bit much, I think ten inches is more suit-" Sirius begins feigning innocence. Isabella kicks his shin under the table, causing him to yelp in pain. This was the second time his shin had been targeted in the last twenty-four hours. He might have to start wearing shin guards.

Most of the class, including Professor Slughorn, turn their attention to the pair. Slughorn raises a curious brow, "Is something wrong Mr. Black?"

"No, just very passionate about Potions sir," Sirius grits through a pained grin.

"Very well, just try to keep your voice down," Slughorn responds wearily before turning back to the pair of students he was helping.

Isabella chuckles once everyone had gone back to their work. Sirius gives her a playful glare in response.

Not long after, Slughorn gave them a warning to finish up so he could grade potions. Despite Sirius and Isabella being the first ones done, they didn't get the top grade. Lily and Remus had outperformed them followed by a pair of Slytherins. Sirius and Isabella were happy to have gotten third place though. Slughorn dismisses them, telling the class he was impressed with their work.

Isabella quickly grabs her bag and attempts to beeline it toward the door. Sirius grabs her arm gently though, causing Isabella to shoot him a warning look. "What? I don't get a goodbye?" Sirius smirks.

"Goodbye Sirius," Isabella says grumpily pulling her arm away and hurrying towards the door. Sirius watches as Isabella looks around outside the door. She then spots someone and hurries over to them. Sirius takes a few steps towards the door, just in time to see Isabella and Regulus walking off holding hands.

A/N: Sorry for leaving you guys hanging! I've been incredibly busy with school. But, I published three chapters to make up for it :))