006| Dates and Future Betrothals

October 7, 1974

"Oh Godric," Victoria groans as the girls read the flyer posted outside the Great Hall.

Attention Hogwarts Students
On October 31, 1974, Hogwarts will be hosting its annual Halloween ball. It will be in the Great Hall from 8 pm-1 am. All students are welcome to this semi-formal event.

"Get ready for the hormone fest that's about to consume the school," Isabella says dryly.

"I say we ditch the dance and hang out in the common room instead," Victoria suggests as the girls head into the hall for breakfast.

"Like my parents would allow that," Isabella huffs. "People talk, and my parents would get an owl if they hear that I'm not attending this ball."

"Your parents suck," Victoria counters crinkling her nose at her friend.

"That's not true, they just want us to live successful lives later on," Isabella says recalling what her parents always told her when she didn't agree with them. Although, the girl didn't particularly believe this even as she said it. However, loyalty to her family was more important than anything.

Victoria just shakes her head and turns to her plate of food. Isabella did the same, not wanting to argue with her best friend. They had different beliefs and that was just something Isabella would have to deal with.

[][][][][]

"For the next potion, I will be assigning pairs," Slughorn tells the class with a large smile. He is met with a chorus of groans which he ignores. He begins calling off pairs and Isabella anxiously waits for her name to be called.

"Lily Evans and Severus Snape. Marlene McKinnon and Peter Pettigrew. Victoria Hughes and James Potter. Isabella Wright and Remus Lupin..."

Isabella felt the tension leave her body as she was assigned Remus as a partner. She wasn't picky, but she had an inkling she'd be assigned to work with one of the Marauders. Remus was the best choice out of all of them, she would've been okay with Peter too. As long as it wasn't James or Sirius. Isabella felt bad for Victoria as she was stuck with the most obnoxious boy in the school.

"I can't believe this," James grumbles as he makes his way over to the desk Victoria and him were assigned to. "How am I supposed to ask Lily to the dance now when she's clear across the room?"

"I have an inkling that won't stop you," Remus replies sarcastically.

James seems to ponder this for a moment before agreeing. "You're right I'll just catch her after class."

Remus shakes his head at his friend and they part ways. He comes and sinks in the chair next to Isabella giving her a polite smile. She reciprocates and then they begin their work. Remus was nice to work with because he didn't try to force conversation. They worked peacefully together and managed to come up with a decent result. It was nothing compared to Lily and Snape's potion of course.

"Good work today," Remus says as they clean up their station.

"You too," Isabella smiles. Then, she sees James sauntering over to Lily's desk and Isabella's eyes widen. "Oh no, he's going to do it."

Remus follows her eyes to see his friend with a smug look on his face. Remus's face contorts in amusement, knowing his friend is going to make a fool of himself. "That brave little git."

James reaches the desk and clears his throat. Isabella hopes it was in a joking way, for his sake. Lily looks up at him with an annoyed look. "What do you want Potter?"

"I would like you to accompany me to the Halloween Ball," James says offering his hand for her to take. Isabella cringes at this and Remus just chuckles.

"Like hell," Lily snorts before getting out of her chair and walking out of the room. That left Snape staring at James with a mixture of hatred and disgust on his pale face.

"It wasn't a no," James beams turning around to face Sirius. "You heard that right mate?"

"You're delusional Potter," he chuckles clapping James on the back.

After potions, Isabella and Victoria headed back to the Slytherin common room to avoid all the girls in hysterics in the hallway. So far, they knew that Penelope Nott had asked Lucius Malfoy and he denied her. She was sobbing in one of the dungeon corridors while her friends tried to console her. Rabastan Lestrange was going with Kathleen MacMillan. There were tons of other pairs, but those two seemed to be the most talked about.

"Can you believe that? A Lestrange and a MacMillan? They're at like completely opposite ends of the hierarchy," Aurora says in disbelief as Victoria and Isabella join her and Jackie at a table.

"Nobody gives a rat's ass," Victoria replies bluntly. "It's all a bit silly don't you think?"

"What is?" Jackie spats raising a brow, she was getting defensive. "Being part of the sacred twenty-eight is like crucial." Victoria scrunches her face and rolls her eyes at Jackie.

"You know she's right Tori," Aurora says gentler than Jackie's tone.

"That's a load of bull. I can do magic just as well, if not better than half of these inbred twats," Victoria says firmly. "Do you think I'm lesser than because I'm not part of the sacred twenty-eight?"

"That's not what I said," Jackie says her face growing red with embarrassment. "You know how it is though Tor."

Victoria softens slightly at this. As much as they hated to admit it, it was true. Their ancestors had created this society. There was no way out for them, so they just had to go along with it.

"Yeah it's bullshit though," Victoria sighs finally.

"What's bullshit?" Barty Crouch asks leaning his freckled arms onto the table. His hair was sticking up in all different directions and he had a toothy smile on his face. Regulus was standing behind him, his wavy hair hanging in his face. He looked as rigid and stoic as ever.

"It's bullshit that you're eavesdropping," Victoria counters. "Didn't daddy ever teach you that was rude?"

"Careful now Vicky, you don't wanna say something you'll regret," Barty responds wickedly.

"What do you lot want?" Victoria grumbles.

"I just wanted to inform you that my father sent me an owl, your parents want you to accompany me to the ball," Barty grins.

"Like hell," Victoria counters.

"We'll see about that," Barty shrugs then turns to Regulus. "Are you gonna ask her?"

Regulus glares at him then turns to Isabella. He hasn't even said the words yet and Isabella's face is growing warm. The idea of dancing with a boy who was only a year older than her brother made her stomach queazy.

"Well Isabella, seeing as we're going to be betrothed in the future, I assume we're going to this ridiculous Halloween dance together?" Regulus asks stiffly, obviously not fond of the idea. Isabella also noticed that he used her full name which almost no one did. It made the whole thing seem so much weirder.

"I-I guess so," Isabella replies with a small shrug. Barty tries to high five Regulus but Regulus just stares at him and Barty settles for a pat on the back.

"Lets go," Regulus grumbles turning to walk away from the girls. He's saying something in a low voice to Barty but neither of the girls can make it out.