027| Music Man

June 30, 1975

Isabella didn't visit Sirius again for over a week after their first encounter. She'd gotten the urge several times when her parents were gone for long hours. She'd also been feeling lonely. Victoria was out of the country with her family, and Isabella could only hang out with her brothers for so long.

Isabella had baked a strawberry shortcake that morning for her family to have at dinner. She then proceeded to deep clean the already spotless living room and reorganize the cupboards in the kitchen. By the time dinner rolled around, Isabella was exhausted. She put on her most pleasant face and sat at the table with her family.

They had just finished discussing their days when their mother changed the subject. "By the way, Bella, you and Elliot will be on your own for dinner tomorrow. Your father, Lance, and I have something to do tomorrow night."

Isabella's eyebrows furrow as she looks from her mom's pursed lips to her dad's stoic face, and finally to Lance who is avoiding her eye. Isabella's stomach begins doing flips. Her brain is running at a thousand miles per hour, trying to figure out what they could possibly have Lance doing. This obviously has to do with the Dark Lord, but Lance was only a teenager. Why would they need him? It takes everything in Isabella not to burst out at this. Instead, she gives a small polite smile and nods her head, "Of course."

"Where are you guys going?" Elliot asks obliviously. Isabella kicks him lightly under the table. He grunts quietly and Isabella gives him a look that tells him to shut up.

"Don't involve yourself where not needed," Lance snaps, his demeanor changing drastically from earlier. Elliot's eyes fall down to his plate, saddened by his brother's tone.

"Don't talk to your brother like that," their mother says sharply. Lance rolls his eyes when his mother looks away, but their father notices.

"Lance," he says, his voice low and dangerous. Isabella tenses up. She knows that voice well, things are about to get worse. Isabella silently pleads that Lance doesn't want to put up a fight tonight.

"Father," Lance responds, his jaw clenched in anger.

"Can we please not do this at the dinner table?" their mother asks softly.

"Oh, so now we care about timing? When it comes to your feelings, now we decide to care? I think now is a perfect time!" Lance says forcefully, his voice raising along with each sentence. "You guys care so much about appearance, what do you think everyone will say when you let your son-"

"Enough!" their father yells, banging his hands on the table as he stands. He points an angry finger at Lance. "This has nothing to do with appearance and you know it. Your mother and I are doing everything we can to keep you safe! The least you can do is stop being selfish and help this family for once!"

He storms out of the room after this. Lance looks like he was trying to decide whether to chase after his father and finish the fight or cry. He shakes his head and turns to his mother whose face was pale and drained. "May I be excused?"

She nods solemnly and Lance stalks out of the room. Elliot's eyes were void of emotion, but his head was hung low. He turns to his mother and she waves for him to be dismissed without him having to say a word. Their mother is the next to stand, her expression is unreadable as she crosses the room. Isabella slumps in her seat once she was alone. She lets out a deep breath and lets her head roll back onto the chair.

She sits there for a moment, her thoughts a blur. The conversation had said so much without giving her any real answers. Her parents and Lance were up to something with the Dark Arts. Isabella knew that much, but what could her parents possibly be asking of Lance? Isabella thought of one person who could possibly answer her questions. She hurries out of the dining room and to her room. Once in her room, she throws on leggings and a jumper and climbs through the window.