013| Skeletons

January 5, 1975

Isabella heavily considered not showing up to potions class. It's not like she was friends with the Marauders, but she knew Sirius had told them about their little quarrel. She was nervous about how they would react, especially since she and Remus were still potions partners. Isabella lay on the floor of her dormitory while she debated it. She had skipped all meals these last couple of days to avoid seeing them. The girl still snuck off to the kitchens to get food because she grew hungry, she just dreaded the Great Hall.

"Are you coming to potions?" Victoria asks as she packs up her backpack. She had joined Isabella for lunch, or lack thereof. The girls had lounged around, Isabella reading and Victoria sketching in her notebook.

"Do I have to?" Isabella asks miserably. Victoria gives her a pointed look that would give Isabella's mother a run for her money. Isabella grumbles and gathers herself up and off the floor.

"Just know I'll hate every second of it," Isabella warns as she slowly packs her bag.

"I wouldn't expect anything less," Victoria smiles back. She links Isabella's arm with her own and begins dragging her best friend out of their dormitory. The first few moments of their walk were silent. Victoria kept shooting expectant looks over to her friend.

"What?" Isabella finally asks.

"I'm just wondering when you're gonna stop sulking is all," Victoria shrugs nonchalantly. "Mopey isn't a very good look for you, ya know?"

"Gee thanks," Isabella responds sarcastically, avoiding answering Victoria's question.

"Ok miss drama queen," Victoria rolls her eyes. "Just know the world doesn't revolve around you. Whatever you think is a big deal, probably isn't as big as you think it is."

Normally, Victoria gave great advice, at least it was always a comfort to Isabella. In this situation, however, Isabella didn't think her best friend was right. Victoria had no idea the magnitude of what Isabella had done. This was more than just a little prank to keep one of her friends from going on a date. Isabella had taken several low blows at Sirius. Even if she wasn't fond of the boy, it was still a horrible thing to do.

In a way, Isabella was worse than the Marauders. At least their pranks never caused any serious harm. They were always playful and innocent in their mischief. Maybe Isabella truly was a bad person, maybe she did belong in Slytherin.

"Okay fine, keep sulking," Victoria says in an annoyed tone. She enters the potion classroom, leaving Isabella standing there by herself. Great! Now, Victoria was mad at her too.

Isabella sighs as she enters the classroom and goes over to her shared desk. Remus was already there, pouring over a book while he waited for class to begin. He looked up at her when he heard her approaching. His freckled face was even at first, as if assessing her, then he offered a polite smile. Isabella almost cried right on the spot at this small, but kind, gesture.

"Good afternoon," she greeted, returning Remus's smile.

"Good afternoon," he responds, a tone to his voice like he knew something she didn't.

"I half-expected you not to speak to me," Isabella admits. She doesn't know why she does, but Remus was the only person willing to speak with her right now.

"Well, that was my original plan, but Sirius seems to have gotten over it so I s'pose I should too," Remus admits, a light pink blush spreading across his face like wildfire.

Isabella's stomach sinks at Remus's words. So he was mad at her and Sirius was the only one preventing that. Sirius should be the one most furious with her. None of it made sense to Isabella. She shook her head as if to erase her thoughts. Right now she just needed to focus on her potion work.