002| Aighotsy

September 2, 1974

The following day, Isabella woke up far too early. It was six in the morning, but her body had no intentions of falling back asleep. She moved around in her bed restlessly, trying to get comfortable. Nothing worked, though, so she climbed out of her bed with a huff and went down to the common room. There was nobody in there since it was so early. It made the room feel so much lonelier than it already did.

The walls were grey stone with silver and green tapestries hanging from them. There was a portrait of Salazaar Slytherin and some other wizards scattered throughout the room. Other than that, the walls were bare. The common room also had various tables and chairs for studying and some couches and recliners for relaxing. Isabella hated being in the common room; she would often sneak up to the astronomy tower. There was a hidden windowsill that she could sit in and overlook Hogwarts grounds.

She didn't feel like making that walk this morning, so she settled for a cozy chair in the common room corner. Isabella pulled out the book she had been reading the last few weeks, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Isabella found comfort in Elizabeth's character. She was quiet like Isabella. Elizabeth, however, was much braver than Isabella could ever be.

Isabella had only gotten a few chapters further when she heard footsteps coming from the boy's stairs. She looked up at the clock to see it was now seven-thirty, which was still early for a weekend. She wished she could disappear or morph into someone else like Elliot could.

"Be quiet before you wake the whole castle," Regulus whispers threateningly. Isabella could feel her face heating up at the thought of having to talk to Regulus.

"Sorry, I'm just excited to prank the Gryffindors. They'll never see it coming," the voice of Barty Crouch responds.

The boys enter the common room and lock eyes with Isabella. She wants to dissolve into the couch. Regulus's face is stoic, but Barty breaks out into a sinister grin.

"Isabella Wright," he says, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Leave her alone, Barty," Regulus says, walking towards the door.

"Oh, just because she's your soon-to-be fiancé doesn't mean we can't have a little fun with her," Barty says, not taking his eyes off Isabella.

Regulus turns to look at Barty upon hearing that. A slight look of confusion crosses his face before he masks it with an indifferent look. Isabella wonders if Regulus even knew about the marriage arrangement. More importantly, though, Isabella wondered how Barty knew. Usually, marriages weren't announced until it was official, and right now, it was just a dream her parents had.

"Is that why mum's been asking about you this summer?" Regulus asks in a calm tone. Isabella shakes her head slowly.

"Do you speak?" Barty blurts in an amused tone.

"I told you to leave her alone," Regulus says dangerously. Barty looks terrified as he quickly closes his mouth and shrinks behind Regulus. Regulus rolls his eyes before turning back to Isabella. "And what do you think of this?"

Isabella swallows and struggles to find her voice. She hated confrontation, but Regulus's features had softened and made her feel slightly less afraid. "I think marriage arrangements are old school and sexist," she admits in a quiet voice.

A smile twitches at the corner of Regulus's mouth. "That may be, but we can do nothing about that."

Isabella agreed they must obey their parents no matter how stupid it might be.

"So you'll marry me to please my parents?" Isabella asks quietly.

"I can guarantee you're better than any of the other girls they have been considering for me," Regulus says in a low voice so Barty can't hear. Isabella wasn't sure if that was strictly a compliment. "Let's just hope it doesn't have to come to that."