003| Snivellus

September 4, 1974

Two days later, Isabella was back in Potions class with the Gryffindors. It was the day when they were to make the antidote to the Aighotsy Draught and then they would be taking the potion. Since Lily and Severus were the only ones to brew a perfect draught, the class would drink theirs. Slughorn also had a backup antidote in case any of the pairs failed on making it.

"Why're you slicing it? It says to crush it," Isabella tells Victoria as she struggles to cut a bean.

"Look at Lily," she whispers looking around to make sure no one had overheard. Sure enough, was slicing her beans.

"Ah, so we're going to copy off of Lily to improve our grades?" Isabella asks with a smirk.

"C'mon we can't let the Gryffindors beat us," Victoria winks then continues on with the potion. Isabella crinkles her nose slightly at that comment. Isabella didn't love the Gryffindors, specifically the Marauders, but she hated the huge riff there was between their houses. It made her think of the stupid blood supremacy stuff her parents believed in.

Isabella shrugged it off and continued stirring the cauldron clockwise. The remainder of class was spent this way. The girls would always be a step or two behind Lily so they could watch what she did. Victoria would handle the ingredients while Isabella stirred. By the end of class, they had managed to make their potion the right color, and hopefully, it was effective.

Slughorn had each of the pairs line up to take the Aighotsy Draught. It was almost immediately that they started laughing uncontrollably. It had different effects on everyone. Some people were doubled over laughing and others were just giggling. The effect on Severus had to be one of the most interesting ones. A small smile was on his face but it looked like he was doing everything he could to fight it down. Then he let out an ugly snort followed by a few muffled giggles.

"Severus? More like Snivellus," James sniggers from behind Victoria and Isabella in line.

Isabella rolls her eyes at him. She had always hated how mean the boys were to Severus. He was a prat, but so were all boys their age. Isabella was still confused why they chose to single him out all the time. As far as she could tell, he never retaliated.

"Oi good one James," Peter pipes up from beside them.

"Boys I think I just got a brilliant idea," Sirius says in a dazed sort of tone. This causes Isabella to let out a little snort which she regrets instantly. Her face goes red as she tries to cover up the noise with a little cough. It was no use though, the boys had heard her.

"What was that Izzy? Did you want to hear my idea?" Sirius asks his voice growing nearer to her. Isabella refused to turn around. Sirius wanted attention and she would not give it to him.

"Bug off," Victoria says turning around to face Sirius. Victoria was always a lot braver than Isabella. It got her into trouble sometimes, but Isabella appreciated her friend nonetheless.

"No need for such obscenities," Sirius gasps clutching a hand to his chest dramatically. He was standing beside Isabella now, making it impossible for her to ignore him. She gave him an annoyed scowl which he returned with a wink. Isabella felt herself growing angry. But she willed herself to stay calm. It was no use wasting her energy on Sirius Black. "You see Izzy, I was thinking of a prank we could play on our lovely Snivelus here."

"Just leave him alone," Isabella sighed before moving past some Gryffindors in line.

"Really Sirius?" she heard Remus say and she smiled slightly at that.

[][][][][]

September 15, 1974

Isabella had to give it to the Marauders, their timing was impeccable. It was a Saturday morning, right before the first Quidditch match of the year. It was Slytherin versus Ravenclaw but most od the school would be attending since it was the first match. Isabella and Victoria were sitting with Jacqueline Rosier and Aurora Greengrass at breakfast. They all shared a dormitory together, but Jacqueline (Jackie) and Aurora were merely surface level friends. Today, however, they wanted to hang out with Victoria and Isabella because it was a match day. They insisted on all of them wearing matching Slytherin scarves, hats, and green jumpers. Isabella didn't mind, as long as the girls weren't being too snotty today.