016| Conversations in the Astronomy Tower

February 2, 1975

"Why couldn't you just stick to the plan?" James practically shouts as the boys enter their dormitory. He'd been on Sirius's ass since they left McGonagall's office.

Minerva told them she'd never seen anything like this in all her years and she would talk to Dumbledore about what this meant for the Quidditch Cup. As far as detention, they were to clean the trophy room until Filch could see his reflection in every cup. Even worse, they had to pair up with the Slytherin team to do so.

"The plan was already horrible, to begin with," Remus admits. He sets his book on the bedside table and sits up so he can mediate the argument. This was something he had grown accustomed to over the years.

"Exactly! Your guys' timing was all off, if I hadn't distracted the crowd you would be in Azkaban right now!" Sirius says throwing his hands up exasperatedly.

"I don't think people get sent to Azkaban for rigging sports competitions," Peter butts in but quickly shrinks back when Sirius glares at him.

"Exactly! The most we would've gotten is-"

Sirius cuts James off. "What? Detention? Our season forfeited? Well, look where the hell we are now. And you're not getting expelled because of it either!"

The room goes eerily silent as everyone soaks in the words Sirius just said. They knew he was right. Although he was often impulsive, he could think rationally when it came down to it. Especially when he was protecting the people he loved. Sirius was still annoyed with his friends though so he shoved past James, making sure to bump him with his shoulder on the way out of the door.

"Godric, they're worse than girls," Remus groans to Peter, thinking Sirius couldn't hear him.

Sirius decided to take a walk around the castle to clear off some of his steam. He ducked out of the portrait hole and towards an empty hallway. It was slightly darker than the main corridors and colder too. The boy placed a hand on the stone wall and ran his hand along the jagged texture as he walked. Sirius had no true destination in mind, he just wanted to clear off some steam. He hears two voices coming from around the corner and pauses in his tracks.

"Barty we should at least tell her. I understand why you don't want to tell my brother or our parents, but she'll understand. She's one of the kindest people you'll ever meet and she'll support us," the voice of a young male pleads.

"I can't risk it, I'm sorry," Barty Crouch's voice argues back. "Plus, I don't think she's as nice as you think. She's always hanging out with the Rosier and Greengrass girls, they're bad news."

Sirius had a good idea who they were talking about. He smushes himself closer to the wall to try to hear better.

"That's not fair. You don't know anything about them or her for that matter," the first voice argues back. Sirius had come to the conclusion that it was Elliot Wright, Isabella's younger brother. They must be debating telling Isabella something.

"Don't be daft El, I'm in the same house as them. Our families talk, and I hear things. How do you think I knew that the Blacks are finally starting to warm up to the idea of Bella and Reggie's engagement?"

"Whatever Barty, I don't wanna argue right now. Let's just finish our walk," Elliot says.

Sirius panics, knowing they were going to turn down this corridor next. He couldn't run, his footsteps would be too loud. There was no way he was going to get caught eavesdropping on second years though. If only he had grabbed James's cloak before leaving.

An idea pops into his head. He reaches into his robe pocket and pulls out the little black sphere he kept in there for emergencies. Sirius slams it on the ground as hard as he can. The corridor is instantly filled with a thick black fog. Sirius couldn't see, but he ran in the opposite direction of the boys. In the distance, he could hear them coughing and questioning what was happening.