Chapter Six

Knock knock knock!

I moaned and rolled over. Someone was knocking on my door, and interrupted my sleep. It was a beautiful sleep too. I don't think I've ever slept better in my life. "Who is it?" I yelled sleepily.

Someone laughed from the other side of the door, "Sage, it's me Alexsandra! You need to wake up! You don't want to waste your free day do you?"

Free day? I thought to myself. "Alright, let me get dressed! I'll be out in a minute!"

I heard footsteps going back down the hall and rolled out of bed. I reached for the spot where I put my clothes from yesterday, but they were gone! First of all, what am I gonna wear now? Second of all, someone was in here while I was sleeping! I shivered at the thought.

"Now what?" I asked myself. After a bit of looking around and deciding that I had nothing better to do, I walked over to the dresser sitting on the other side of the room, and opened it. It was full of some of the most fancy clothes I had ever seen. It also all looked like something I would wear. I pulled out some blue jeans that didn't even have holes in the knees, and a T-shirt that wasn't coated in dirt. After slipping them on, I stepped out of my room and to the dining hall.

"There you are!" Alexsandra said as I joined her at a table.

"Here I am," I said, accepting a plate of pancakes from the waiter and stuffing a bite into my mouth.

"We have so much we have to do today! We have to go shopping, as well as give each other makeovers! Oh! I also have to show you this awesome picnic spot that is outside and--"

"Actually, Alexsandra," I interrupted, swallowing. "I was wondering if you hoverboard?"

"Oh, well I guess I've never tried it. It looks scary."

"Well, do you want to learn with me?"

"We'll be your teacher." A voice from behind me said. I looked over my shoulder to see Dario, Aiden, and Jace walking our way, all three carrying hoverboards.

"You know what?" Alexsandra said. "There's no shame in trying! Except I'm not going fast. I will fall off and break my nose." We all laughed. Soon enough, Aiden, Alexsandra, and Jace got into an argument about following the guidelines of "Better safe than sorry," or "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger," while I finished my pancakes.

"All done?" Dario asked. "Great, let's get going." We all headed outside, joking and laughing all the way. As we were passing the front doors, we stopped at this machine that I've only seen in the movies.

"Two HB 2000s and two pairs of hover bands." Jace said to the machine. Two HB 2000s and two pairs of hover bands appeared on the screen on the front of the machine, and it started to make a soft humming sound. I stared in wonder as two slick metal boards and four shiny metal rings came from a hole in the side.

I must've been making a stupid face, because Dario and Aiden both laughed. "It's a mothic." Aiden said. "A machine that creates almost anything you want. Dr. Morsie got it for us a few months ago."

"Anyway, let's go!" Jace said, grabbing the boards and bands and heading outside. We followed him out to a giant courtyard where Jace was already boarding his hoverboard. He hopped on the board and floated up into the air where Aiden soon followed him.

"Slip these bands over your wrist like this." Dario explained, showing with his own hover bands. I slipped my band over my wrist and the metal adjusted to fit me. Alexsandra did the same, and she shot me a nervous smile.

"Now, just hop on your board and--"

I didn't wait for further instructions. I jumped on the board which swayed slightly with the sudden change of weight. I figured that this board would work like one of those old fashion boards on wheels, so I leaned forward. To my surprise, the board actually started moving forward. I couldn't help but laugh at my success.

"Sage, wait for me!" I heard Alexsandra yell from behind me, but I didn't wait. I zoomed on ahead and between Jace and Aiden so fast that they swerved to the side. I laughed and tried to swerve my board around, but lost my balance and went tumbling off the board.

I yelled as I fell off the board. I thought that I was a goner, but right before I hit the ground the metal bands on my wrists pulled upward and yanked my arms very painfully.

"Sage! What the flip!?" Alexsandra came running over to me and started yelling at me, but the boys were just laughing their heads off. I pulled my arms down and fell the rest of the way to the ground.

"You are so lucky you wear those bands!" Alexsandra was telling me. "They saved your life! You should've waited for me!"

"It takes a while for your board to learn your movements." Jace said, hovering over Alexsandra. "You're gonna have to use the board a little more before you go swerving like that."

"Well gee, thanks for the warning." I said, rubbing my wrists.

"Maybe we should be done for the day." Alexsandra said.

"What? No!" I argued. "I want to try again! And this time you have to do it with me. Hoverboarding is so fun!"

Alexsandra seemed torn, "Alright." she said after a while. "But no more trying to kill yourself alright?"

"Deal." I said.