Chapter Fourty Three

Everyone stopped and stared at us when we finally arrived. There were four scientists all wearing pressed lab coats and annoyed looks. They held clipboards to their chests like they were their babies.

Olwyn and Bailey were there as well, both looking like they'd rather be anywhere else.

"Well aren't y'all a lovely bunch." I said, walking in and leaning against the wall.

The room we were in has pure white walls and polished white tiled floors. The color made me cringe a bit; it reminded me of the compound. I could tell I wasn't alone in that too. There was a metal table in the middle of the room, set with metal disks about as wide as my pinky finger.

They have holos. I thought, eyeing the disks. I wondered where they managed to afford those. They must get more funding than I thought.

"Took you long enough." A tall doctor with ruler straight black hair and a hooked nose said.

"Yeah, yeah, we're late." I said, waving a hand, "Now can we get to this, whatever we're doing? I have things I'd like to do."

All four doctors glared at me, but the first doctor who spoke sighed, "You all are probably wondering why you're here." She paused, as if expecting one of us to agree. When no one said anything she continued, "Well, we brought you here for research."

"What kind of research?" Olwyn asked, her eyes narrowed.

The scientists all looked like they didn't didn't want to say anything. Two avoided eye contact and the other two's brows were drawn. After a while of silence, I cleared my throat.

"Excuse me?" I said impatiently, "She asked you a question."

A short, balding scientist rubbed his nose, "We want to mimic the metamorphosis process that is used to give the rebels abilities.

We all stared at them.

"For what?" Dario finally asked, a brow raised.

The first scientist huffed impatiently, "So we can provide our powerless Rebels abilities of course!"

"So why do you need us?" Bailey asked.

The second scientist straightened his coat, "We are going to interview you all to gather as much information as possible about the metamorphosis process."

I snorted. "Good luck with that.'

The scientists all stared at me. "Whatever do you mean?" A short scientist with short brown hair asked softly.

"The experience was quite fuzzy." I said, waving a hand, "And Morsie didn't really tell us much about what the process was anyway."

All the scientists quickly scribbled notes on their clipboards like what I just said was priceless information.

"I'm sure we can get something." The first scientist said when she was finished with her note taking, "Now we're gonna start with a quick demonstration of each of your powers." She adjusted her hold on her clipboard, "We're gonna start with you." She pointed her pen at Bailey, who rolled her eyes.

"Whatever." She muttered. She dug in her pocket for a moment before she pulled out a small silver cigarette lighter. She flicked it open so a small flame ignited at the tip and held out her hand. The flame jumped off the lighter and swirled around in the air a little bit. It kind of reminded me of some kind of phantom.

The scientists all eyed the flame for a moment before they scribbled on their clipboards. The flame swirled around Bailey's fingers before it disappeared with a wave of her hand. She closed the cigarette lighter with a snap and shoved it into her pocket once again.

"Thank you, Miss Georgia." The tall scientist said, then she turned to Olwyn, "We'll have you go next."

Olwyn didn't even uncross her arms. In a blink of an eye, she was entirely gone. Well, almost entirely. All that was left of her was a levitating green jumpsuit. She flickered back into view, accompanied by the sounds of pen on paper as the scientists took more notes. It was then when I realized that her red glasses had also disappeared with her.

Huh, strange. I thought, Morsie must've made them.

"Invisibility..." I heard the short-haired scientist mutter as she wrote.

When everyone finished their note taking the first scientist turned to me, her expression hardening, "Your turn. Demonstrate your ability."

I scrunched up my face and stuck my tongue out at her. Her grip on the clipboard tightened to the point where her knuckles were white. Pleased, I held out my hand and channeled my energy down to it, visualizing the smooth, transparent look of glass. Sure enough, the skin shimmered for a moment and shifted into glass. I balled my hand into a fist and held it in front of my face, smirking at the scientists through it.

Instead of taking their notes and moving on like what they did with everyone else however, the second scientist raised his pen a little, "Can you shift into living things, like animals?"

"Yeah." I said, letting my hand turn back to flesh and crossing my arms.

The scientists all just stared at me for a moment.

"Well?" The first one asked impatiently, "Do it."

I huffed, "I'd rather not."

She glared at me, "Why not?"

"Because!" I said, "Because my clothes won't shift with me!"

For a moment she seemed indecisive. Then she huffed and scribbled a bit on her clipboard, "Fine." She spun towards Dario, "You, demonstration, go."