Chapter Fourty Six

The last person- Aiden- pulled himself onto the roof and glanced around.

"Well this is pretty cool, Alex." Dario said, "It's nice of you to get this all put together."

Alexsandra beamed, "I know." She said, "Now everyone sit! It's time to get out the food!"

"Thank heavens." I said, flopping down on the blanket, "I am starving."

Alexsandra laughed and opened the basket, revealing several bags of sandwiches, carrot sticks and chips. Everyone sat down on the blanket and she began passing out food to everyone.

"Well would you look at that." I said, examining the food she gave me, "It's totally your typical kindergarten meal."

Alexsandra giggled, "It's all they'd give me." She shrugged, "But it's okay, I like peanut butter and jelly."

"Who doesn't?" I asked, taking a large bite out of the sandwich. The bread was on the stale side, and the peanut butter tasted like dust, but food is food, and I'll eat anything.

Once everyone had their food, we all sat and ate, making light conversation around the food in our mouths.

"Dark jokes are like food." Olwyn muttered, earning sideways glances from us all, "Not everyone gets it." Most of us burst out laughing, except for Alexsandra and Bailey, who just looked horrified.

"I knew I was an unwanted child when I realized that my bath toys were a radio and a toaster." I grinned. Everyone responded with more laughter.

"What's the difference between a cigarette and a hamster?" Harvey asked.

"I don't want to know." Alexsandra groaned, covering her face.

"What?" Aiden asked, grinning in anticipation.

"They're both harmless until you light it on fire and put it in your mouth."

I snorted and most everyone else laughed. Something about this moment really made me happy; just sitting here, laughing with my friends. It was like the good old days, back when we had all day to do whatever we wanted, and no imminent danger looming over our heads.

"Thanks, Lex." I muttered, glancing sideways at her.

She smiled at me, "For what?"

"For... this." I gestured at the landscape, at the food and at all my friends, talking and laughing.

"You're so very welcome." She grinned.

I rolled my eyes, "Don't let the success get to your head." I teased, nudging her arm with my shoulder.

"Oh please, I wouldn't dream of it." She declared, "Even though I am super amazing and succeed at everything." We laughed, then stared at the sunset for a while.

"I'm glad you're my friend, Sage." Alexsandra said.

"I'm glad to be your friend, Alexsandra." I replied.

"Well that's good." Alexsandra said, "I was starting to worry that this whole friendship was one sided.

I rolled my eyes and elbowed her playfully in the arm, "I've been busy, okay?"
"Right. Busy doing... therapy, was it?"

I sighed, "Alright, confession time." I said. She glanced at me with her eyebrows raised, "I was never actually doing therapy."

She gasped dramatically and covered her mouth with a hand, "No, really!?"

I rolled my eyes again, "Yeah, yeah, that was a bit of a sad excuse."

She laughed, "A bit more than a bit." She winked.

"Alright, well anyway, I was actually training."

She blinked at me, "Training? Training for what?"

I shrugged, "Combat of any form. Fist fights, archery, sword fighting, fighting with my abilities, you name it."

She was staring at me, her eyebrows knitted together with confusion. "Why were you training?"

"Just in case." I said, "You never know. And also, the training sessions these losers host is nothing more than a lecture on being obedient. It's totally useless!"

Alexsandra was silent for a moment, before she sighed, "Why didn't you just tell me?"

I shrugged sort of awkwardly, "Well, I... I didn't think you'd approve."

"I don't." Alexsandra said, pointing a finger at my face, "But I have no right to control what you do, so it doesn't matter."
I snorted, "Well thanks then."

She glanced sideways at me, a smile playing at her lips, "You're welcome." She finally said.