Chapter Thirteen

The next day, Alexsandra was teaching me how to play chess. It turns out that Alexsandra is really good, although she claims Jace is better. If that's the case, then Jace must be a superhuman chess player.

Anyway, I was sitting there, trying to remember what the bishop does, when Bailey walked in the room with a smug look on her face.

"Bailey!" Aiden said, noticing her. "You're back! So what's your power?"

Bailey grinned smugly, held out her hand palm up, and scrunched up her nose like she was concentrating on something. At first I thought her power was perfectly moisturized hands, (because there's no way that she gets them that way normally,) but then I realized that the flames from the chandelier were no longer on the chandelier. They were drifting down and morphing, until they were one ball of flame, hovering over Bailey's hand.

"Woah," Alexsandra said, the flame glowing in her eyes.

"Yeah, yeah, real nice, Bailey can make fire move. Now can we continue this game? I'm going against Alexsandra next," Olwyn said.

"Oh, right. Sorry," Alexsandra said, walking back to the chess board. It was still my turn. I was very proud of myself for killing her knight with my queen, only to have her kill my queen with a pawn.

After our game, Alexsandra and Olwyn were playing a very epic game of chess, when Frank came and startled Bailey by saying, "Miss Sage, Dr. Morsie is requesting your presence."

"Alright. Thank you Frank," I said, smirking slightly at the servant. "I gotta go to training guys. I'll see you later."

"Training?" Alexsandra asked, eyeing Frank suspiciously. She knew that I had passed training, so I shouldn't be going to training anymore. I decided to act naturally though.

"Yeah. I'll see you later, okay?"

"Alright, bye," Olwyn said, still looking at the chessboard; deciding what to do next.

I rolled my eyes at her, waved at Alexsandra, then walked down the hall, took many turns, and ended up in front of Cathleen's office. I knocked on the door, and waited. And waited.

What's going on? I thought to myself, knocking again. She's usually hovering by the door so she can answer it the moment you knock.

After about ten seconds, I was about to walk away and find Frank, when the door swung open. Cathleen was still sitting at her desk, looking very pleased for some reason. I had no idea who opened the door until a lean man with slicked back hair and a tiny mustache peered around the door and sneered at me.

"Ah," He said in an oily voice. "You must be Sage. Come in, come in."

I looked at Cathleen, my eyebrows raised, but she just shot me a look that said "Do as you're told." I slowly walked in, very aware of the grin the man was giving me as he closed the door behind me.

"Sage," Cathleen said. "This is Dr. Tran. He is the head of the Metamorphosis office, and is here to perform your metamorphosis."

This came as a surprise, even though I knew it was coming. Now? Already? I've been here for like two and a half weeks, whereas Lex's been here for nearly two years. She hasn't started the metamorphosis yet! Despite these things rushing through my head, I forced my face to remain neutral. "Nice to meet you Dr. Tran," I said plainly, nodding to him.

He was still grinning from ear to ear when he replied, "Oh believe me, the pleasure is all mine." He then turned to Cathleen and gestured to me, "Now Dr. Morsie, do you mind if I start the process? I've been particularly excited to perform this metamorphosis ever since I saw the footage of her training simulations." He said this like I wasn't even standing there, or even like I was a piece of equipment he was requesting to try out.

"Not at all," Cathleen said, nodding to the both of us.

Dr. Tran grinned even bigger, if possible, and opened the door again. "After you," He said. I cringed so hard as I passed him, but continued walking down the hall as usual, following him and his oily voice as he led the way. Something about this guy gave me the creeps. Maybe it was the oily voice he always used. Or maybe it was the way he talked about me like I was a new toy he got to play with. Whatever it was, I did not want this guy to perform my metamorphosis.