Chapter Fifteen

"Metamorphosis complete. Beginning draining sequence."

Light began to filter through my eyelids, my thoughts slowly beginning to sharpen. I twitched, my muscles sore, though I couldn't remember why. I could feel something draining out of whatever I was laying in, leaving stiff, sticky spots behind. I blinked, my eyes adjusting to the blinding light above me. I paused for a moment, contemplating why I was sitting in what looked like a bathtub full of blue hair gel. That was when the last moments of my consciousness hit me.

I shot up like a rocket, suddenly full awake. I regretted it immediately after though, because the room began to spin, and random lights were flashing in my eyes. I nearly toppled over, but I caught myself on this weird looking light fixture hanging above me.

"Woah there." Came a familiar voice that I couldn't put a name on, "I know you may be alarmed, but there is no need to overexert yourself."

I blinked and looked around trying to find the source of the voice, but my eyes still hadn't adjusted. I felt oddly weak, my muscles protesting with every movement I made. I was putting all my weight on the fixture thing, and I was worried that I would break it.

"Sage, listen to me." the voice said, "You are perfectly fine. There's no need to be alarmed. Now, do you see that door on the side of the room?" I blinked a little bit more, my head throbbing. I nodded to get the voice moving on, but to tell you the truth, I couldn't see anything except for white. "Great. Janice is gonna come through that door to get you, so don't be alarmed by her presence. Got it?"

I nodded again, deciding to just close my eyes until they got used to the light filtering through my eyelids. I heard the sound of a door opening, and footsteps coming toward me, but I strongly resisted the urge to throw a punch in that direction. "Follow my voice." A slightly impatient voice said.

Her impatience angered me. I forced my eyes open and squinted at the figure standing in front of me. It's that lady from before. I noted, The one who made me strip in front of her.

She began to walk back toward the door she came through, so I tried to follow her, but just ended up falling on the ground after the first step. My legs just didn't want to work.

"Oh Janice, help her would you?" I looked over and saw a familiar man speaking into a microphone on the other side of a panel of glass. A name immediately popped into my head when I saw him, along with a few memories.

Janice made a sour face, and walked towards me, but I held up a hand, and pushed myself back on my feet. I wobbled but forced myself to remain balanced. Why aren't my legs working? I thought, wobbling towards the door, How long have I been unconscious?

I managed to get to the door and Janice let me in. The next room was all white which didn't help the headache that was starting to form. There was a shower and a sink and a pile of clothes. I stumbled over to the shower and sat under the hot stream for a while. After Janice left I climbed out and pulled the clothes on. I promised myself that I would change the moment I could, because the clothes were all white. I stared at the wall for a moment, clearing my scrambled thoughts, soon coming to the realization that I had to go out the way I came. I stumbled out the door that I came in, finally starting to get the hang of this walking thing.

"Ah, Sage." Dr. Tran said, opening a small doorway in the glass panel and walking over to me. "I'm glad you're awake. I was starting to think you'd stay in that metamorphosis forever!"

I forced a smile, though I'm sure it wasn't very believable. "Yeah, I'm glad I'm back too. Now, can I go eat? I'm terribly hungry. And thirsty. And stiff."

Dr. Tran laughed like what I just said was a joke. "Ah yes, well being out as long as you have will do that to you. But first, I would be very pleased if you were to give me a small demonstration of your new power."

I blinked. "I don't know what my power is."

"It's the power you had in your Fear Three simulation of course!'

It took all my willpower not to shout at him that this wasn't an of course situation. No one told me this. "Oh, right. Well um, here I go." I decided that I'll just stick to something simple, just like what I did in the simulation. I held out my hand, thought about iron and forced all my energy on it. It took a surprising amount of effort, and even then only my thumb shifted. Either way, Dr. Tran was impressed.

"Bravo, bravo!" He shouted gleefully, clapping his hands like a one year old. "Thank you for that, Sage. And now you may go ahead and eat. Do you want me to walk with you?"

I tried not to let my distaste show, "Er, no. I think I'll be fine. Thank you though."

"No problem." Dr. Tran said as I began to walk out, "Take care now!"

"Yeah," I said, looking at my hands as the iron slowly began to turn back to skin, "I will."

I walked over to the dining hall, which was surprisingly hard. My memory was still scrambled. Crazily enough, I didn't run into a single person on my way, nor was anyone there when I arrived. Well, besides the waiter, but he hardly counts.

"Mi-Miss Sage!" He stammered, obviously not expecting me, "Um, what can I get for you."

I looked at the recently installed menu. Everything seemed so good! How was I gonna choose? "Um, I'll take a bacon burger, a large handful of fries, two breakfast burritos, and..." I grinned, "A ham and cheese sandwich."

The waiter looked baffled, "Is that all?"

"Oh, and an extra large chocolate milk."

"Great. I'll get that food to you as soon as possible."

I smirked as I walked over to a table to wait. Usually the cooks had the food ready right away. I guess I overwhelmed them.

After a few minutes, the waiter walked over to my table. "Here's your food Miss." He said. He had somehow managed to carry all that food over to my table, and set them down on the table without losing a crumb.

"Why thank you. Er, what's your name?"

The waiter pressed his lips together, "It's Max, Miss."

"Max! That's right! Well Max, I'm glad you were able to carry all this food over here."

Max didn't answer, instead he just gave a stiff bow, "Enjoy your food," He said, then walked away.

I chuckled, then began stuffing my face with food.