Chapter Twenty Four

I backed up from the door, my heart racing. She wants the Prime Minister of New Japan to bow down to her. I thought, She already has Taiwan, and now she's moving to South Korea. She--she's taking over countries one by one! That's why she's bothering to care for a bunch of teenagers. That's what she does with us after we finish our training!

I turned around and ran down the halls, all the messed up things about Cathleen Morsie clicking into place. Why she disappears every weekend, why she looks so pleased when I do good in my training, why she wants to get rid of Alexsandra.

I was so lost in thought that I didn't see Harvey coming out of the dining hall until I ran into him.

"Ah! Oh, er, sorry." I said, "Hey Harvey, have you seen Alexsandra?"

"This late?" Harvey asked, wrinkling his nose, "I'll bet she's in her room getting ready to sleep."

"Great, thanks." I said, stepping around him and continuing down the hall.

"You're welcome!" Harvey yelled after me, and I could hear the usual smirk in his voice.

I continued to run down the hall, my thoughts swimming. I didn't stop once on my way to Alexsandra's room, though my lungs were burning. When I reached Alexsandra's room I knocked on the door, but I didn't wait for a reply to open it.

"Sage!" Alexsandra cried, a brush halfway through her hair, "What're you doing?"

I closed the door behind me and leaned against the wall, trying to catch my breath. After a bit of agonizing seconds of silence, I managed to sputter, "There's something important we need to talk about."

"What is it?" Alexsandra asked, shifting on her bed so I can sit next to her. I sat down, gasping for air a little while longer until I was able to breathe regularly, then I started to tell the story.

* * *

"...then she was like, 'Great, goodbye Commander.' Then I ran all the way over here."

Alexsandra gaped at me, her hazel eyes round as marbles. "Dr. Morsie has control over New Japan and Taiwan? I... I guess that would explain what happened to the others.... What are we gonna do about this?"

"What do you--" I cut off when I spotted the open door. I didn't see anyone come in, so how could it be...

"Olwyn!" I said through gritted teeth. I shot up out of the bed, hoping to catch her before she did whatever she hoped to do with her new found information. I charged out the door only to find the halls empty. Darn Olwyn, why can you turn invisible!

"Sage!" Alexsandra cried, running out of her room, "What if she tells Dr. Morsie?"

"I won't let that happen." I said, frantically trying to think of a way to find her. I need to track her somehow...

"Aha!" I said. I learned a new trick just a few days ago, it was perfect for this situation. I focused all my energy on the image of a wolf, what it looked like, what it felt like, what it smelled. Soon enough, I felt my bones breaking and reforming, my ears lengthening, my clothes transforming. Alexsandra screamed, but I ignored it, instead sniffing around for Olwyns scent. I quickly caught it, shampoo with a hint of mint trailing down the hall to my left.

I barked at Alexsandra who's look of horror was slowly transforming into curiosity, then bounded down the hall. The scent was getting stronger the further I ran, the sound of my claws hitting the floors echoing through the hall. Suddenly, the smell cut off, and I back tracked, coming to the conclusion that Olwyn must've turned into the game room to my left.

"Olwyn you little son of a..." I muttered, shifting back into a human and grabbing the doorknob. I could hear voices inside, but I couldn't pick up any words even when I pressed my ear to the door.

Taking a deep breath, I turned the knob and opened the door, expecting the worst. Instead, I found the eyes of all the specials staring at me.

"Sage." Harvey said, leaning against the wall, "Glad you could join us."