Chapter Twenty

Well, there goes my dignity. I thought, already imagining the triumphant looks on the boys' faces when they win. I can't believe my fate's in Harvey's hands. This stinks!

Those thoughts were rushed out of my head the moment Harvey got going, however. He leaned forward so far I thought he was gonna fall off his board. He didn't, instead shooting forward at top speed, faster than I've even seen Dario go. Despite his speed, he dogged around the obstacles with ease.

"He's gaining on Dario." I muttered.

"How is that--" Jace blundered, shaking his head. It was true. Dario was too cocky, taking his time to make sure things looked impressive. Harvey was gaining on him, only ten feet away.

"Dario!" Aiden yelled from behind him, "He's gaining!"

Dario looked over his shoulder, a confused look on his face, to see Harvey quickly closing the gap between them. He sped up, but it was too little too late. Harvey and Dario were neck in neck, going so fast they were a blur. It was almost scary, watching the determined looks on their faces, racing top speed in my direction. It was too close to call; I had no idea who was gonna win. Then, just about two feet from the finish line, Harvey jumped, soaring off his board and over the finish line, winning him the game.

"OHHHHHHH!" I screamed, as Harvey hit the ground next to me, "We have our winner!"

"How the--" Aiden sputtered, hovering over and landing next to Dario, "The newbie beat Dario?! I can't even beat Dario!"

"Wow Harvey." Alexsandra said, landing next to me, "I didn't know that you can hoverboard. How could your family afford it?"

"Oh, er..." Harvey said, scratching the back of his head, "I guess they were just uh, very important people and had the money just sitting around."

"Well dang kid." I said, "All that practice must've paid off. And better yet, we won! In your face!" I stuck out my tongue and pointed at Aiden's face.

"Alright, well I have to admit that I didn't see that coming." Aiden said, putting up his hands like he was surrendering, "Well done man. I mean, you probably can't beat me, but good job creaming Dario."

Harvey laughed, "Very likely. I can probably beat all of you!"

"Excuse me?" I demanded, crossing my arms, "I can beat you any day! And I'll prove it! How 'bout a free for all race, huh? What do you say?"

"Oh you're on!" Harvey said, summoning his board with his bands.

"Great." I said, "What about you Aiden and Dario-- Hey Dario, where are you going?"

Sure enough, Dario was marching back towards the compound, his board following the pull of his bands. "Not everything's a contest!" he yelled, throwing his hands up in the air.

"Wow." I said, "What's up with him?"

"I'll go check it out." Aiden said, hopping on his board and racing after him, "Just go ahead and start the race without me."

I squinted at the slowly shrinking backs of Dario and Aiden. Was Dario upset about losing? I never took him for the sore loser type. But then again, I've never seen him lose before. "Alright," I said, clapping and turning back towards the others, "then I guess it's just us four." I looked around at the small group of teens. "It's sad Bailey's not here. She's not that good but she still can board."

"Yeah," Alexsandra said, "But this group is fine. Let's race!"

I laughed and hopped back on my board, "Alright. Are you ready to go down Harvey?"

Harvey chuckled and stepped onto his board, "We'll see about that."