Chapter Thirty Six

"Unconscious again? The girl will be no good for hunting if she's always unconscious."

"She'll be no good for anything either way Ma'am. The girl's got no discipline."

"I can easily fix that. Just get her awake and ready to go hunting by 16:00, got it?"

"I don't think that hunting--"

"Got it?"

There was a pause where the second voice sighed, "Yes Ma'am."

"Good. I expect her to be ready for hunting by 16:00. No exceptions."

I could hear heavy footsteps pounding down the hall, and then a metallic crash as if something crashed into the wall. I flinched at the noise and tentatively opened my eyes. I was sitting in the same hospital room that I woke up in just this morning. Or at least I think it was this morning. Dr. Hall was standing above an overturned chair, panting like a maniac.

"Curse you." She muttered, glaring at me, "Why does she want you for hunting so bad? What makes you so special? You probably can't even hold a bow."

I blinked at her and slowly sat up. I was sore everywhere like I... well, like I was just injected with a sleep serum. There was one spot in particular that was stinging though. The point right in between my shoulder blades.

"You are a crazy psycho lady." I said, glad my voice wasn't hoarse.

"And you are an insignificant spoiled brat." Dr. Hall retorted, "Now I left some clothes outside the room for you. Go put those on and go to the training room."

"I don't know where the training room is." I said.

"Well then it sure sucks to be you." Dr. Hall said, turning her back to me, "Now get the heck out of my hospital."

Who did this woman think she was? Weren't doctors supposed to be nice? "Gladly." I growled, forcing myself to my feet. I was immediately lightheaded, but I placed my good hand on the wall and marched out of the room as dignified as I could muster.

The hallway was deserted, and a lump of dark green cloth sat by the door. I had a dreaded feeling that those were my clothes. "Great." I said, leaning down and picking up the clothes with some difficulty, "Thanks to Dr. Witch-Face back there, I have to put on these clothes with an injured arm and somehow make my way to this Training Room."

I paused and looked around a bit more, then came to the conclusion that I'd just have to change standing here in the hall. The cost is clear. I thought, glancing up and down the hall once more. Here we go.

I sat there stalling for a bit, but then I just clenched my jaw and pulled off my shirt. I worked as fast as I could, but it was difficult with my arm screaming at me the whole time.

I was halfway through pulling on my pants when: "Hello."

I jumped so high that I could've reached a hand up and broken my fingers on the ceiling. I whirled around and hissed angrily at the person who'd spoken. It was the girl who'd come to the compound in the helicopter. Her red hair was messed up, she was wearing black gloves, and there were faint scratches littering her face.

"What the heck, Girl?" I asked, struggling to pull up the dark green pants, "Can't you see that I'm changing here?"

"You're in the middle of the hallway." The girl said with a faint southern accent.

"Well, where else do you expect me to go?" I asked, standing up straight and trying to cross my arms with much difficulty.

"The changin' room maybe?" She said, gesturing to a doorway at the side of the hallway.

I huffed, "Well they didn't label the door, so I didn't know it was the changing room, so I have every right to be changing in the hallway."

She rolled her eyes, "Whatever." She said, "Well if you're done changin' then I'm here to take you to the trainin' room."

I huffed, but then leaned back and planted my good hand on the wall. "Alright. Lead the way."

The girl nodded, then spun on her heel and started marching down the hall. I followed her as fast as I could, my brain still working out the moment I was in. I had run away from Cathleen Morsie, and I had lived through it. If you ask me, I'd say that that was a pretty big win.